Wolf weld mig 140

1. Gary Batterbee New Member

hi I could really use some help with this one! I recently bought this mig, tested it beforehand. Worked ok, brought it home, hooked up new gas but as soon as it's turned on the overload light comes on, the fan runs, gas comes through the torch but the trigger does nothing!,, I've Checked the pc board for damage and the fuse is ok?? Any advice please?, thanks in advance,
    Gary

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

The overload light you mention is most likely an over-temperature light. With the power off have a look at the heatsink to see if there is a temperature sensor fitted, and if so that both the wires are securely connected.

3. Gary Batterbee New Member

Hi,I've just checked, all seems ok and tight,

4. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Check the other end of the wires are tight, as a test try shorting out (bypassing) the temperature sensor.

5. Gary Batterbee New Member

Thanks mate, just tried that, no change unfortunately

6. rtbcomp

Does the light go out when you short the sender? If not does it go out if you disconnect the sensor (they usually open on overheating, but without the circuit diagram it's difficult to be certain).

Is there a temperature sensor on the transformer?

7. Gary Batterbee New Member

I've tried both mate, made no difference! Can't see anything on the transformer, baffles me coz it was working fine one minute and broken the next?...
    Thanks though bud,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2017
  8. rtbcomp

Any chance of some close-up in-focus photos of the inside?

Try operating the power selector switch(es) from one end of their range to the other a few times, dirty contacts & switches not quite in the right position have been known to stop welders working. It shouldn't account for the warning light, but any port in a storm.

9. Gary Batterbee New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Tried that bud, I'm very close to skipping it!, lol,

• image.jpeg
  10. rtbcomp

11. Gary Batterbee New Member

12. rtbcomp

I realise the branding is different, but often identical machines turn up in different livery, especially at the lower end.

The similarity is the term "Overload", I've never heard of this on a MIG before and it appears on the "WolfWeld" and the "Longevity" machines.

13. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Your gas will flow when the trigger is pulled as (if I am correct) you have a gas valve in the torch so no need for power to operate the flow.
    The fan should run even in a fault/over temp condition as it would need to cool the machine (main transformer)
    Not sure where you checked the "thermal cut" out on the rectifier as I can't see one there or even a pair of wires going to it !
    There MAYBE a thermal cut out burred in the main transformer (your pic number 3) bottom left is where the power selector switch wires go and there maybe an extra pair of wires for the thermal sensor.
    As some basic checks (remembering the gas valve in torch!)
    Have you checked (metered) the switch in the torch is working ? If you can sus where the wires exit at the machine end and go to pcb, it would be better to check there.
    Has the small transformer on the pcb got 240 (AC) volts in to one side ? Does it have 12 to 24ish (AC) volts out ?
    These basic checks should be done first.
    ps can't see markings by pcb transformer to tell if it shows what is in and out.

14. Gary Batterbee New Member

Thanks for the advice and pointers guys, I finally managed to sort it!!, it had two problems which I thought were related but it turns out not..
    The gas leak was caused by a split 'O' ring in the valve block in the handle! Othe overload cut not was caused gy a short in the trigger switch!?? Yep I'd have expected it to just run too but I guess it's a safety?? Any hoo. I'm a happy bunny, cheers again,

15. Gary Batterbee New Member

Cheers bud, got me thinking and you nailed it,

16. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know you got it sorted :thumbup:

17. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    :clapping:

Advertisements