Wolf air compressor stopped working

1. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    Hi Folks, as above the compressor runs for a few seconds then the reset button trips, reset and the same thing happens.
    Rang Wolf and tech guy said it was most likely the capacitor (£30.00 ish) he wasn't sure of what it should read on a meter to test it.

Any ideas on this and will any (cheaper) capacitor fit?

Thanks

Bernard

• IMG_2640.JPG
  2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

£30 for a capacitor is taking the mickey.

Have a close look at the motor, manual &c, it may give the value of the capacitor(s) in micro-farads (uF) and there'll be a voltage rating. Or look at the capacitor itself, you may have remove come covers to get at it.

Then have a look in Ebay for Start Capacitor, motor capacitor &c

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Gritineye and eSCHEn like this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Does it still hum when you turn it on ? I had a pressure washer out of a skip and the capacitor was shot. I took it to the local electronic shop and asked if they had a replacement and the one they had was a lot smaller for the same rating and cost me £7. I'm still using the pressure washer 4 years later.

slim_boy_fat and Gritineye like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Gotta love skip-dipping, it should form part of the National Curriculum........:whistle:

Mick - Ford Focus likes this.
  5. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    I've had motors that hum when switched on and run OK after a nudge in the right direction, which is what I thought indicated a duff capacitor.

The comp ran for maybe 30 seconds before stopping, fuse blown, switched off changed the fuse and on again a few times it did the same without me resetting the trip.

Now the reset trips but the fuse doesn't blow, this makes me think the reset was a bit sticky at first but now working OK.

Does the fact that the motor runs for a while not say the capacitor may not be the problem?

6. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It's one of those things where you might have to try it with a new one to see if it is the problem. It could be the capacitor getting hot is causing it to trip or it could be the thermal trip itself at fault. I knew it was the capacitor as it had melted.

Gritineye likes this.
  7. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

You can get a new cap for about £9 off ebay, just order the same uF and voltage rating.
    Just measure the size of your old one first as some are bigger and won't fit.
    If your lucky it will work fine.

8. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    IMG_2642.JPG

It has a start and a run capacitor, presumably as it starts, it's the run type that has failed?

9. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    Well happenstance, serendipity and coincidence all combined to cure the problem! :clapping:

I'd disconnected the capacitors to test them, just to check I went indoors to google the testing method. Laptop was playing up and crashed, so I gave up and went out and reconnected the wires so I didn't loose any washers or screws, something made me plug it in and switch it on. Gobsmacked when it started and ran up to pressure good as new! :D:D

All's well that ends well, thanks for your replies chaps

Bernard

10. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

Wish mine was that simple! I need a new motor....

Gritineye likes this.
  11. Windy Miller Semi-Professional Potterer!

What a result!

I've often had something come in for a repair, and when I've taken the lid off I could find nothing wrong. When it got switched back on, it worked perfectly! I've reached the conclusion that the air inside the unit was a bit stale, and all it needed was some fresh air to be installed! It's worked for me SO often!

Gritineye likes this.
  12. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    Just to rub it in, my 16 yr old laptop which kept crashing to blue screen only needed taking apart and all the dust (it was like felt around the fan) blown out with the compressor, new thermal paste, and as you can see is up and running good as new too!

A few of the case screws had stripped, but nothing that some turbo gold wood screws right through the base didn't fix... :D

Windy Miller likes this.
Advertisements