wolf 90L compressor

1. pondy

pondy Member

looking to buy another compressor, these seem to get good reviews from the members who own them,

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371244562807

having another look on ebay i found the same thing under a different name, cheaper but the cfm stated is different, not sure if i should believe the stated cfm on this, as visual it appears to be the same thing?

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112108599725

2. gt6s Member

Ask if they use an iron cylinder. Aluminium ones are notoriously bad.

Laurence

3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

4. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

The Wolf compressors have an Iron Cylinder. I found the manifold was a bit weak and cracked when I changed the fittings on it. Also I uppedthe pressure to 10 Bar as it comes out as 8 Bar.

other than that it runs faultlessly.

5. Andzejus1981

Andzejus1981 Member

6. pondy

pondy Member

looks like I've sold my old compressor so ready to order new one, the one labeled as wolf states higher cfm and a two year warranty. the fox hunter is £60 cheaper but shows slightly lower cfm, visually they appear the same thing, not sure what to order

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Have you contacted the seller to ask?

8. pondy

pondy Member

yes they just quoted the specs from description, both seller appears to be box shifters and probably don't know anything about what they are selling

Burdekin likes this.
  9. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

They look the same buy odd they'd under spec the compressor.

10. pondy

pondy Member

DSC_1437.JPG DSC_1438.JPG DSC_1441.JPG DSC_1439.JPG DSC_1440.JPG well i went with the wolf branded one on the end, i saw the two year warranty and blue being my favorite color worth the extra money. for how much it costs im very happy with it, it arrived the day after order via tnt, box was in good condition and hadn't been knocked about alot. came already filled with oil, also an extra one litre bottle. seems well built, no bolts loose on arrival etc. it is alot quiet than i had expected, always had direct drive, can easily have a conversation next to this, have no worries about annoying neighbors with noise etc.

the only niggles i have with is the belt cover is slightly on the wonk, needs bending about and bracket adjustment to bring it all nixe, also shakes abit when running, there is some play

11. slim_boy_fat

@pondy That looks good - interesting too about it being quieter. It nearly stops my heart every time my cheapy 24L jobbie kicks in. :laughing:

I'd been looking at/considering a vertical 50L job to get increased capacity and FAD and had my eye on an oil free type [firstly at one on the 'Bay. 2nd hand but had done 100 hrs, it was when seller said they were only selling to upgrade to a 300L one that I thought..."Bet that 100 hours was continuous" that I backed off. Sold for [iirc] £78 + £15 p&p - against a new warrantied price of £130 :vsad:]

I did more digging and with advice from @gt6s [thanks, Laurence] have decided to give the oil-free ones a miss. Would have been handy, and possibly OK for my small man-cave, but I'd sooner get something which didn't have inherent weakness :(.

12. pondy

pondy Member

done a bit of fettling on the compressor tonight, ive turned down the bolts that hold the back k wheels on the lathe so it has less side to side play, they has got rid of alot of the shaking when running. should have taken a before shot, ive removed 2mm

need to remove the end bung so can plumb into my hard pipe system, had a go tonight but couldn't budge it
    DSC_1442.JPG

@slim_boy_fat I've had small Aldi 25l compressor, also a 50l v twin direct drive,they are noisy, i made a box to put my 50l in to cut out some of the noise, even though this says 99db on the side, its so much quiter, can easily work away without it disturbing you in my single garage, my others made me jump whenever they kicked it. if your thinking of a new compressor i can recommend this, little more money than the one you posted a link to mind. had no dealing with oil free compressors, surely they can't last too long, how do you go about lubricating them?

13. slim_boy_fat

You can't. Having done some investigation after @gt6s 's heads-up, the alloy engine bores are lined with a coating which will eventually break down - Laurence described it better than I can "The Alloy bore ones are well known for failure I have a big SIP a dealer told me once he had a yard full of dead alloy ones but mine being iron is okay. That is partially what statement is based on. Also on small engines alloy bores are pure garbage. "

pondy likes this.
  14. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

I saw the fox one and the wolf and was curious as one was lower CFM, I went with the wolf one as it has a 2 years warranty. Very happy with it as it is nice and quiet compared to a direct drive type, I have stuck it in my other shed so i have extra space, just need to set up new airlines.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

I got one back in late May, same colour as yours, and filled with oil too! My belt cover is slightly wonky as well, but unfortunately on unpacking I noticed the tank is slightly scratched on the back :(

16. pondy

pondy Member

sounds much the same as mine, i did have a couple of marks where packaging hsd rubbed paint off, not overly worried as only small

Advertisements