Wolf 140 Mig: A Noob's Impartial Review

1. So I've had a few days to get set up and have a bit of a mess around with my new Wolf 140 Mig Welder (30A - 135A). Here are my findings, from a newbie's point of view. I did a bit of training on a 3-phase monster at a training centre. Whilst my welder is obviously going to be nowhere near as good as that, the results were (for me) quite satisfactory and pleasing. I bought the welder from Amazon (via the marketplace) for £149.98 and it included quite a good kit of spare parts, wire, a cheap-o mask, brush, and 1 cylinder of CO2 gas and regulator.

Setting up the welder out-of-the-box wasn't too taxing... just a case of adding a few screws to fix on some parts, and snapping on some plastic bits here and there. Notably the power wire did not come with a plug; this is due to the fact the book suggests you can put on a 13A household plug, or a 16/32A big plug. (heh... I really do know my terminology, eh?). If you have seen one of my earlier posts regarding power, you will have seen that I had some problems keeping the machine powered on, but this eventually was due to the abysmal wiring where I live and has now been fixed. I can run the welder at full power on a 13A plug without issue.

Initially I had a problem with a faulty regulator which lead to valve damage (which resulted in a garage full of CO2 and an empty cylinder). After a quick phonecall to UKHS technical support at 3pm one day (I believe they own the Wolf brand now) they had a new cylinder and regulator to me the next morning by Parcelforce. Nice and speedy!

After finally getting all sorted out I was ready to give this machine a whirl. I opted to configure for a Gas-based setup, as I am not familiar with gasless welding. Now that I have tried this, I can confirm that this particular version of the Wolf 140 Mig has a Non-Live torch. You can find the photos below to see how my first runs turned out. The first 3 pictures were bad, but as you will discover reading down this thread, I just didn't have the gas turned on anywhere near enough (DOH!). The final picture is where the gas is now properly on.

The photos are all using 4mm mild steel (it's all I had...) and the numbers i've written on are the power levels (max = 6). The Butt weld was using 4mm mild that I V-Grooved prior to welding. The final photo is one of the attempts after I corrected the "lack of gas" problem mentioned above. It's a tad easier on the eyes, that's for sure!

• co2_test.jpg
    • argomix_test.jpg
    • vgroove_butt_test.jpg
    • argon_fixedgas.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    I'm going to be brutally honest, they're pretty horrible. :ashamed:
    Looks like serious lack of gas to me as there's a heck of a lot of porosity.
    4mm is pushing it for that little welder which is probably why your travel speed was slow, hence the gert fat welds.
    Decent effort but there's room for improvement and we've certainly seen far worse on here. ;)

3. No problem with brutal honesty, it's the only way I will learn. :) Thanks for the feedback!

It's funny you should say that about the gas, because I thought I was having trouble hearing it - but just put it down to the noise of the cooling fan and the fact I didn't have my hearing aid in (I'm as deaf as a post in one ear). I'll have a bit more of a mess around to see if there is anything up with the flow of gas.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  4. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    There's definitely not enough of it, I'd imagine as you were welding it sounded a bit 'fizzy' rather than 'crackly'?

5. Ok, so this time I went out (plus hearing aid :whistle:) and as it turns out, Gas was the problem. Note to self: when the instruction book says "turn on the gas 1 turn" it actually means "turn on the gas 4.5-5 turns".

This time there was an audible flow of gas when the trigger is pressed and the welding felt as though it went much better. In addition, the result is much nicer to look at. (Although looks aren't everything, right?)

Still open to any feedback, no matter how brutal :hug:

• argon_fixedgas.jpg
  6. The power could do with being a lot lot higher, other than that, not bad!

7. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    Much better! :clapping:
    The bead looks very wide but as I said, 4mm is a bit thick for that machine so I'd imagine you're travelling very slowly to get the bead to flatten out?
    What power setting is that one done with? You should be using around 150 amps for 4mm so to stand any chance with your machine you should have it on the highest.

8. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    Can you please add your photos back to your original post? Shameful or not, the thread will be more use to others with them in place. ;)

9. Thanks for the feedback everyone! :) Even since my last postings here twiddling with the power knob and wire feed speed, the weld has improved even more. Sadly no more pics as my camera batteries ran out. One of the biggest changes/improvements is finding a comfortable position to improve my travel speed (trying to keep it consistent). It's a tad difficult on my makeshift "bench" (a small metal whiteboard from a big blue sweedish company propped up by a wonky laundry (metal)... thing... also by the same company).

Wozzaaah: My latest attempt (not pictured) was on power setting 5 (of 6) and was an improvement still on the above picture. I'm done for the day now but some time tomorrow i'll try it on full whack and report back. As for the old bad pics, sure I can upload them again (and die of embarrassment now I know how bad they really were). I'll get onto that now. :P

10. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks for that. :hug:
    It's beer O'clock so reward yourself with a cold one. ;)

11. vdubnut New Member

Irvine, Scotland
    thanks

huge thanks for review! thinking of getting same one! any further updates?
    Cheers

Andy

12. Blimey! I completely forgot that I was going to do some more and report back. Unfortunately I've been quite distracted lately and haven't had much time in the garage (aside from a li'l bit of unfruitful metal bending). I'll make a positive effort to get out there some time over the coming week and lay down some more weld so that I can report back.

One thing to note since I originally started this thread, is that I sorted out a proper rent-free gas cylinder from Hobbyweld (Currently using Hobbyweld 5), as disposables were disgustingly expensive for what was in them. After a bit of back-and-forth via email and telephone, I placed an order - and I must say that I received the best customer service that I've ever experienced. John (the chap who I was talking to via email and phone) was extremely patient with my newbieness and made sure I knew exactly what was needed to hook up to my (hobby) welder. Cylinder was delivered hassle-free by the friendly chap on the van.

13. sandancer Member

south shields
    i have one of these welders, from the same place, i use mine to do up mk1 vw caddys, like yourself after a bit of playing with the gas and the speeds i find it to be a great little welder

14. KatsForge Member

United Kingdom
    Seems UKHS had words with the manufacturing side in more recent times. I've got one of these and it works like a dream, used a friends Clarke 220MIG and the results are virtually identical.

I ended up returning the first one because it developed a fault with the welding coil, UKHS were fab about it...had me test it for a couple of days to establish what it was then they sent a courier to collect the busted one and sent a new one for me.

Turns out the older versions had a the coil welded to the base which did more harm than good, now they're bolted to the chassis unit!

Been using it for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with it, Plus my friend is happy now I don't need to keep using his set too ;)

15. ianlinux Member

This is a great thread for me as I've finally opened the box to my Aldi Powercraft 30-135 (looks exactly the same inc accessories) after 5 years of purchasing!!!!

My first project a few days ago was with 5mm angle iron and I could only get it to work with fluxcore gasless and nothing as good as yours in the end so Mr Wozzaaah would have a field day in the "brutaly honest" front LOL. The "1-turn" gas comment is so right, I'd have been better off just having both the gas valve and power on max!

I'm enjoying it though and am considering an upgrade already to a Portamig 215

Oh well, we live and learn

16. Twin givans Member

17. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

You just need an adapter like this...

Adapt01a.JPG

I believe Weldequip sells them.

18. Twin givans Member

Thanks for that robostar5, I see there are 2 wolf 140 mig kits, one comes with gas and regulator and one without, might be a stupid question but do I really need to get the kit with the gas and reg as I already have a new gas regulator so I thought get kit without.
    Also the adaptor you`ve shown, is it a straight forward connection to the mig and is there a name / speck for it so I can order it?

19. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I could only see the complete kit model you linked to, providing the other one is marked as "gas/no gas" it should have the 4mm gas pipe to use for "gas" mode even though it is supplied without gas & reg.

I'm sure if you contact Weldequip they will be able to supply the adapter pipe without reg.

The adapter has a simple "pushfit" connector for the 4mm end and a standard ⅜"? BSP on the other end.

20. Twin givans Member

Superb thanks for the info Robotstar5

Advertisements