WMW Surface Grinder - an electrical gremlin!

1. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

Evening all, haven’t been on here in a while, but had an issue with the surface grinder this evening that reminded me of my account on here

Fired up the WMW this evening and it tripped the breaker. Pulled the fuses one by one, found the two culprits on the bottom left of the panel. It’s not blowing the fuses at all, just pops the breaker after 4 or 5 seconds.

I don’t have a manual for it to hand (could have sworn I did), and I’m wondering would anyone know what this symbol on the fuse panel is? I’ve attached a pic below.
    It’s not the dedicated mag chuck, spindle or coolant ones, however with the 2 fuses out I can’t start the spindle or coolant pump or anything, leading me to believe it must be a main switch of some description?

Cheers in advance guys 1A1864A0-876A-4DB5-A28B-A05DD5FBE61E.jpeg 28306BD3-9563-44A0-968D-5133A2E3DA67.jpeg

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I'm no expert, but those electrical connections look pretty grotty to me. Would it be worth cleaning them thoroughly and trying again? :dontknow:

BrianCork likes this.
  3. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

I’ve been in there with contact cleaner, it’s actually a layer of electrical grease on them, my initial thoughts were the same as yours but underneath they’re actually lovely and shiny and bright!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

The symbol under the fuses looks to depict a transformer, probably for the control circuits.

when exactly dose the beaker trip, when you apply power to the machine, or when you try to start something?

5. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    Need to know what buttons you’re pressing yo make it trip
    Coolant pump normal culprit though in cold weather hydraulic pumps can struggle to start.
    Id reset and do each part individually unless it pops straight away and id be thinking control transformer

WorkshopChris likes this.
  6. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

Thanks for the responses fellas. If I power up the machine (switch on the isolator) it’ll trip out after a few minutes if those 2 fuses are installed, or it’ll trip out instantly when you try to start the spindle.

Advertisements