wire sticking then breaks

1. robert murray New Member

hi ive a sip t130p gas/gasless mig , the .8 wire was sticking near end of liner/ then breaks at rollers, i replaced the tip , and checked for snags at wire drum[ ,4kg] . i suspect liner? seen a few on line , blue ones [ steel] , but some are 3m ? my liner is approx 1.9m...any advice please?

2. Robert.

Robert. Member

Buy a quality liner , cut it too size .
    However as it's breaking before it reaches the liner , that would point towards something else . And rollers must have a right serious grip to be snapping wire ..

metalmelt and Country Joe like this.
  3. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

Short circuit? Is the wire burning at the rollers? They are the first metal point the wire will be touching when it goes live.

metalmelt likes this.
  4. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Hi there,

I dunno how you're managing to break the wire?
    You'd have to stop the spool from moving and pull the trigger, but even then you'd have to pull the wire very hard to snap it, and a SIP wire-feed motor (or even any other) couldn't do that.

If the blockage is up-stream of the rollers, like at the tip - you'd evpect the wire to birds-nest from trying to push it too hard.

The only wire that's inflexible enough to just snap, if you bend it in half, is flux-cored (gas-less) wire, as far as I know.

Most of the liners you can buy will probably need cutting down to fit, as said above.

I've just seen Willie's reply, above.

Does the wire have any signs of arcing, as opposed to just snapping? i.e. charred, melted or burned-looking at the broken ends?

Like Robert said, your rollers would need serious grip to manage this!

All the Best,
    CJ

metalmelt likes this.
  5. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

Mine does this with 0.6mm wire fixed it by changing the roller back to 0.8mm groove.
    Don't normally use 0.6mm wire but a local supplier was shutting down and got a few rolls of INE wire cheap.

6. MoreWellie Member

Have you tried leaving the roller open and pushing the wire through the torch to feel the resistance?

Are you using a 0.6mm tip?

Do you ever get the wire fed through the torch or does it never make it?

Have you tried feeding the wire with the tip unscrewed?

Have you tried feeding the wire with the swan neck removed?

7. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

If the wire is breaking at that point you need to get some different wire

In many years of making it and comparing against other makes I found wire breaks perhaps twice...

You should be able to twist the wire around itself

metalmelt likes this.
  8. MoreWellie Member

Maybe its aluminium wire

Advertisements