Wire selection

1. Neil Aldridge New Member

Hi I’m setting up a small fab shop and will need to weld from 0.8 up 10mm mild steal with the bulk being 3mm, so I’m stocking my consumables cupboard would 0.6 and 1mm cover it all?

2. Domdom Forum Supporter

0.8 will cover all that range, maybe have some 1.0 for the really thick stuff.

0.6 is too thin and will drive you nuts. I never use it, not even for thin rusty panelwork.

3. eddie49 Member

I think there may be one possible benefit of .6mm wire - it passes less current. So a machine that has a "high" lowest range, e.g. 40 Amps with .8 wire, might only deliver 35A when used with .6 wire. Theoretically, this should make .6 wire good for thin rusty car bodywork, but as Domdom says, it never seems to actually help at all.

Wallace, a111r, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  4. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    0.8mm wire will be your best bet for everything up to 6mm. If you have a 250 amp machine then maybe stock up on 1mm stuff for anything heavier.

Some jokers on here think 0.6mm wire is the way to go for thin stuff. They are wrong.

5. mechman Member

I gave up on 0.6mm way back in the last century.

6. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    why? if i can get good results with .6 what's wrong with that?

*on thin stuff

7. Domdom Forum Supporter

Being so thin the 0.6 wire is much more prone to feed issues. It does work at lower current than 0.8 but this is of limited value unless you're welding a lace curtain. Some like it, some don't. I'm in the latter group. That's not to say I'm right, just preference based on experience.

Sean likes this.
  8. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Do you know exactly what amperage you're at? Do you know if you could achieve exactly the same thing using 0.8mm? I'm guessing not...

9. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    got the Thermal ark so yah know exactly what its doing in any particular situation now, havn't tried 0.6 in that yet because i gave away my roll of 0.6 with the other welder. Ive been happily butt welding 0.6mm panel in less than ideal situations using 0.8.

was just curious as to why if we use it wer'e jokers?

10. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    I've had to use 0.6 on certain new panels no thicken than fag paper and i'm no joker

Sean and a111r like this.
  11. a111r Member

High end Italian mfr, CEA, tells me this on my body shop (40 year old) 150A MIG:
    Are they wrong?

DSCN3584.JPG

Shedendman likes this.
  12. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Ok I know I'm being argumentative, but I just don't see the point in 0.6mm, and don't see the point in advising people to use it when its usually more hassle.

1. It's a 6 step transformer. Not really high end stuff, doesn't matter what brand name.
    2. I see these posts on here about welding with 0.6 wire "at 35 amps" or so, and 99.9% of the time it's a pure assumption with no ammeter to actually back it up.
    3. any short stitch weld seams you can do on 1mm steel, you can do with 0.8mm just as effectively. You can even use 1mm. All you're doing is preventing heat build up.
    ...which leads to
    4. If you can show me a continuous seam butt weld on 1mm steel that you've done yourself using 0.6mm wire, then I'll shut up. Pics, or GTFO ;)

13. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    yeah agree with all that! OP welding 0.8-10 so really only needs 0.8 wire (but you'd think going in to fab he would have worked it out himself!)
    Photos
    now i cant claim to run full 4" beads on 0.6 steel using a 6 step Sip105 welder and 0.6 wire, because the distortion as it cooled was a killer! easily got 1" runs and skipped back and forth - im no gonna claim its easy! and yeah having a infinitely variable voltage setting is making this 0.8mm a lark ;)

photos are 2cv wheel arch area about 0.6mm. The horizontal bit, seat box floor, is as thick as it gets on 2cv shell nearly a whole 0.9mm!
    Yeah doing similar this furlough with 0.8, the main advantage having been less tip sticking and feed issues Ive not yet managed any more than a couple of mm before pop!

oh and a picture of a sleeping puppy just to calm us all down :hug:

• 5869963549_d054a980f7_c.jpg
    • 5870503358_7ba3951ec4_c.jpg
    • 5870527108_d409c92ca0_c.jpg
    • 5870530608_6b8ff914af_c.jpg
    • 5880664648_d19fc595b2_c.jpg
    • 8469374580_fb7ed420c5_c.jpg
    8ob, anjum and roblane65 like this.
  14. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    No i do agree its not easy to use and sometimes a pita,but on certain replacement car panels they come galvanised once you sand/grind that off you've gone paper thin,so 0.6 to me helps,yes,its a bloody nitemare

anjum likes this.
  15. Neil Aldridge New Member

Ok thanks everyone for your input tbh I had forgotten I had posted that question and had already decided that 0.8 will do the bulk of the work and I’ll get some 1.0 for the thicker stuff, I only thought about the 0.6 as I’ve not welded 1mm sheet before and turns out it might be as thin as 0.8 sheet anyway. Thanks again, clearly passionate about your work lol
    Nice puppy

Sean likes this.
  16. Shaun Henry

Shaun Henry Member

So as a newbie 0.8mm wire would be good choice for most materials?

Sean likes this.
  17. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    probably.

and its usually cheaper

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Shaun Henry likes this.
  18. Shaun Henry

Shaun Henry Member

Perfect thanks. Will get some ordered. Picked my bottle up yesterday.

19. Dadweld New Member

I'm an amateur hobby welder and I've been using 0.6 successfully in my Tecarc mig (can't remember the exact number... 185 possibly), on and in 1 & 2 mm mild steel.

I like the pup too.

Sean likes this.
  20. Neil Aldridge New Member

Ok so I’m welding 1mm sheet for small fuel tanks, i have my r-tech c315 mig on all its lowest settings with 0.6 wire and a glance at the voltage when running is about 15 volts and it sounds fine but i keep burning through, i can maybe do about a one inch bead on an open corner then burn straight through, there’s bloody bits of scrap all over the floor with crappy welds on and I’m slumped in the corner with my head in my hands blobbing like a baby!

8ob likes this.
Advertisements