Wire & gas question

1. OhLouise Member

I’ve bought a second hand Clarke 90, plan to use with argon/co2gas (disposable initially as I’m not sure where I could store the gas).

I’m welding outside, but inside a campervan.

What wire should I be using with 1mm steel?

Also, would 1 disposable bottle do a few practice lines and about 30cm of weld?

Do I need to purchase a regulator separately?

Thanks in advance! Will show my attempts once complete!!

2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I'd go with 0.8mm....0.6mm would also be OK but some welders are fussy and run better with 0.8mm.

Disposables are a bit of a waste of time....maybe consider a CO2 extinguisher? I used to use 10L bottles which weren't too big/heavy.

And welcome to the forum

123hotchef likes this.
  3. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

Everyone who try’s the disposable bottles, only try’s them. You get about 5-7 min of welding time from a bottle. Also yes you will need to buy the regulator separately.

You will be much better off putting your money to better use and getting a proper bottle and regulator.

4. OhLouise Member

I don't really have storage for a gas bottle... unless I store it in the van when I'm not using the van.

Does anyone know large stores that are open on a Sunday where you get gas either disposable or otherwise?

5. OhLouise Member

Or... the other option is to use the Clarke, gasless?

6. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

On a Sunday the only option I know of would be, Machine Mart for disposables.

7. OhLouise Member

8. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

Didn’t know Halfords sold gas, but yes that would do, expensive though.

9. roboj Member

50l/200bar argon-co2 mix how much time of welding gives?

10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

if you try gasless you will regret it gasless welds hot and will burn through

storing a small cylinder inside the house isnt too bad but its advised to be outside in a shed or garage

you will have better success learning with a bigger bottle than trying to setup and do practice welds before welding

sorry to say you might be in for a fail with the disposables

11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

A lot of time!

I use 20l 200bar bottles and that would last me months and months even when I'm doing lots of welding.

The 10l bottles are quite practical to handle and store....I get mine from Barnet welding who do a no rental system which I prefer (although the gas is more expensive with rent free bottles)

Advertisements