Wire feed.

1. Ashley Bristol New Member

Hello all. I'm very new to this. Last year I done a little welding course. And iv finally got around to buying a entry level welder.
    Wolf 140 mig weld gas no gas welder.
    All was going well until I changed rolls.
    I got the wire in. Fed the wire through tightened everything up. Not to tight. But the wire just doesn't feed. You can here the motor going. But the wheel just doesn't move. If I loosen it off it works but obviously it's to loose to feed the wire.
    Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong.

2. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Does the wire move freely with the tension OFF the feed rollers?, a good test is a 1kg (bag of sugar) weight should be able to pull the wire through from the torch tip.

...and welcome to the forum.

3. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Sounds like maybe you missed the liner on the way out with the wire or a burr on the wire has gouged up the inside of the liner and blocked it. Try removing the wire, straightening the end and rounding off any sharp edges on it with a file or sandpaper, then try carefully feeding the wire through again with the torch held out straight.

Mee likes this.
  4. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

You say that the wheel (roller) doesn't move, Does the roller turn round on the shaft for different for different size wires? Maybe the screw holding the roller to the shaft is not tight enough.

5. Ashley Bristol New Member

Yes iv adjusted that. Tightened right up and loosened on Thurs at a time. Still won't feed.

6. xmetal

xmetal Member

You say this problem occurred after you changed the reel. This may be a silly question but have you got the same wire size as the original?

7. Jim Davey

I think its a blocked or missed liner personally. Easy to damage a plastic liner if that's what it is? Do Wolf 140s have a direct fit torch?

8. Jim Davey

Stripped teeth on the wormdrive/gearbox then or motor is humming but not actually turning.

9. Ashley Bristol New Member

Iv managed to get the wire to feed right up to torch end now manually and I can pull the wire through fine. pull the trigger you can see the feed wheel turn. Pull down the flap and a tiny bit of pressure on the wire and it stops turning and you can still here the motor running.
    When I bought it it came with 0.8 wire which is what's I replaced it with

10. Ashley Bristol New Member

So tonight iv taken the wire role out and tried another role 0.6mm. Works fine.
    Looked at the role I took off looks like it has a few spots of rust. Google says this is bad. Obviously.

So I take it this Is my issue.

11. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    You say "and tried another role 0.6mm" Does that mean the one you took out (that was giving problem) was 0.8 and you now have loaded 0.6 ? If so did you change the tip when you loaded the 0.8 ??? Post 7 asked this.
    Another problem apart from the rust can be if the wire on the spool has gone/been allowed to go loose and the wire is over lapping it's self.
    Pull a good layer off the spool to remove the rusty part and get back to fresh. Keep wire from unspooling when loading.

12. joe1 Member

Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem,
    I have two machines,
    1) A very old Clarke weld 85EN Gasless, (At least 25 - 30 yrs old), With a brand new liner fitter recently.
    2) A new Wolf Weld Mig 140. Gas / Gasless

I know, not the best, but I have them now, so have to make do..lol.

I have / am use(d )ing 0.8mm Gasless Flux coated wire on both machines, and 0.8mm mild wire in the Wolf with CO2. (Both came new with the Wolf)
    but for some reason BOTH machines have started to slip, and will not feed the wire through at all.

The old Clarke has a single slot on the drive wheel, the Wolf has Two, a 0.6mm and a 0.8mm. and I have tried BOTH, with different tensions, but still, No feed.
    The drive wheels both rotate as they should, but it just seems to slip on the wire, It doesn't matter if it's a partially used real or a brand new one, same result. it's as though there is no grip on either wheels.

Any ideas plz.
    cheers
    Joe.

13. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Joe The mount for the spools should have a "clutch" that stops the spool running ON when you release the trigger BUT if to tight it will stop the spool from turning when the (small) feed motor tries to PULL wire off. You may need to back the clutch (nut) right off to allow spool to turn.

Terrence M. Shea likes this.
  14. joe1 Member

Hi Mike,
    Thanks, I tried that as well.

I found previously (on cheap spools) the spool would grip the post / spindle and stick on it, I had to use some silicone lube spray to help with NO tensioner nut on them at all. At one point laying the spool out along the workshop floor, Just the drag along the floor was good enough to keep the wire tensioned for the feed wheels to work ok. but now they just slip on the wire. as though the drive wheels have lost their grip and gone totally smooth. (Just a thought, can the grip grooves fill up with wire scrapings (say a from soft wire) and fill up and smooth over, if you get my drift)))

The Wolf spools seam to spin freely on them now though, but again with NO tension on the nut. In fact have to be carefull not to unwind it all.

I can pull the wire through the gun both ways quite easily, so it's not sticking in the liner either.
    I have wrote to Wolf (UKHS) to see what they say as the machine is just over a year old.

Any other thoughts anyone plz.

Thanks again and cheers
    Joe.

15. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    The feed roller should be smooth usually a "U" groove. There are some rollers that have "knurling" in the groove but I think these are for ally (may be ?) (see the rollers advertised on screwfix web site).
    There may be different causes for the same fault on the two machines.
    One possible (and common) fault with the plastic wire feed assemblies is that some part of the plastic cracks and causes the rollers even under pressure not to push down on the wire correctly and "bottom out" on the other side of the roller. Another cause is that one of the pivot shafts has to much "give" in it and again the rollers come together unevenly and adding more pressure makes little difference.
    If you lightly tighten down on the pressure you should still be able to get a feeler gauge between the rollers (about 0.008" thou) with 0.6 (mm)wire. Please excuse the mix of metric and imperial! Look for any deflection / cracks of the wire asy when tightening down.
    Another check /test would be to use a marker pen and put lines on the powered roller (like spokes!) and then when trying to feed "see" if the roller is miss-feeding / slipping by watching the lines as that is easier to see than a shiny roller turning. You might from that be able to see if there is a jump in the feed due to damaged gear in gear box.

feed rollers.jpg

joe1 likes this.
  16. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    PS
    see the SIP section for "MODS" on the feed asy (bracket added )

joe1 likes this.
Advertisements