Wire feed problems

1. Mummyjo New Member

Hertfordshire
    I know this is an old problem but I'm at my wits end!! I have a wolf weld 140 and am using it with gas. I was getting along just fine and then all of a sudden it stopped feeding the wire. The motors working and the feed wheels are going round but the wire doesn't move. I've adjusted wire and spool tension, still nothing! I'm furious as I was getting on really well!

Any ideas of what else I could try...and before anyone suggests it, I can't afford a new welder!

Many thanks
    Jo

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    If the rollers are turning but the wire isn't coming out then it simply means something is stopping it.
    First thing is to look at the reel itself, if it's badly wound then it won't peel off nicely.
    You've checked the feed roller and reel tension so have eliminated those.
    Is any wire sticking out of the tip at all? If not then it may be burnt back to the tip in which case unscrew the tip, snip the wire off and fit a new tip.
    If so, take the tension off the feed rollers and see if you can pull the wire through with a pair of pliers. Watch what happens to the reel as you're doing it to see how it winds off.
    Lastly, your machine may need a new liner. Easy to fit and only a few £.
    Don't worry, it's nothing serious. ;)

3. Mummyjo New Member

Hertfordshire
    Thank you very much for your reply. It pulls through okay with the pliers so its not stuck. The problem is that it's a wolf weld which went bust recently so I don't think you can get spares for it.

4. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    If you can pull the wire through with very little resistance and adjusting the feed roller tension doesn't improve it then you may have an issue with the feed unit itself.
    I take it you're using the correct roller for the wire diameter? Running 0.6mm wire in the 0.8mm groove is a surefire way of getting slippage.
    Did it suddenly start happening or was it after a reel change?
    I know it sounds like I'm stating the obvious but we've seen it on here more than once.
    The fact it's not birdsnesting at the feed rollers sounds like it's not sticking in the liner or tip.
    I once had a reel of wire start playing up, nothing I did made it feed though I could wind it off ok by hand. Fitted a new reel and it was sorted.
    A reel doesn't have to have anything obviously wrong with it to cause problems. ;)

Advertisements