Wire feed issues....on a wolf?....never

1. WEEGAZ22 Member

scotland glasgow
    Hi guys, got a 2nd hand wolf welder for near next to nothing, but it does have a wire feed problem, now i already went through the process of replacing the liner with curtain wire as it was feeling like there was a little more resistance than i would have liked in there, after doing that i had a look at the wire feed mechanism and after stripping it noticed that there are nylon teeth stripped off the reduction gears inside so that would explain the inconsistency in feeding.

so what i want to ask is as the wire feeder mechanism looks identical to a SIP feeder below [​IMG]
    What I'd like to know is if anyone else has retrofitted a better feed mechanism than the SIP version? (even if its been fitted to an SIP machine)
    Basically i don't want to buy a feed mech that everyone seems to bitch about if i can buy and fit something a bit better from the get go

That or if anyone has any dead mechanisms lying around that i could maybe blag some bits/parts from

I'm a hobbyist so cant justify blowing a big wad on a machine i will only use everynow and again

2. WEEGAZ22 Member

scotland glasgow
    Oh yeah its a 135 turbo, been reading some of the SIP mods and was wondering is there an issue with the wire feeder itself? or is it down to poorly smoothed out voltage regulation going into the motor causing the poor feed? or more likely a combo of both?, I'm quite willing to "mod" this welder but don't know if there is as much info around on modding wolf's specifically compared to say the SIP's and Clarke's

3. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Weldequip sells wire feed parts for various machines, if your reasonably handy you could modify something better to fit however keep an eye on the cost as the Wolf is not known for quality and it may be more cost effective to sell it on and get a better secondhand machine.

4. WEEGAZ22 Member

scotland glasgow
    I've seen the wire feeders on weld equip, seems the one i have isn't on there so cant go for a "direct replacement" from them, hence why i asked if anyone had modified/swapped out feeders for a better one, yes i realise that the welder is a bottom of the line crappy hobby unit, but its only cost me 20 quid so far, even if i spent £80-£100 into it in mods/parts over the next couple of months, that is still less than a new wolf mig, and it "should" weld way better than the new one after the mods

If i could afford a better machine i would have bought one, this came along at 20 quid and i thought it was worth a punt, like i said I'm a hobbyist so not going to be welding things on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, reason i wanted one was to build a copy of an ABBA stand for my motorbike so i can pull off the forks

5. WEEGAZ22 Member

scotland glasgow
    Don't suppose if anyone know's if the welder runs a 24v or a 12v motor? I was just going to do a order a replacement and seen that there there are 2 options on the same mechanism, just wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head as i'll need to rebuild it all again before i can plug it in and test what voltage it is with a multimeter.

cheers

6. WEEGAZ22 Member

scotland glasgow
    Its 24V that goes to the motor on the Wolf, just incase anyone else wanted to know

joe1 likes this.
Advertisements