Will this Co2 regulator work on argon mix

1. A evans New Member

Hi guys. Can't find any information on this regulator other than the wika gauges. no markings on the metalwork.

These were on my co2 bottle when I bought my mighty-mig 100.
    Bottles were suregas co2 (50bar@15c)
    My new bottle is an argon mix. 200bar. 10l.
    Regulator gauge tops at 160 on the dial...

Will it work? (do they hanndle more but only read up till 160?) Or is it dangerous?

Suggestions please.

• received_745552952705272.jpeg
    • migtig2.jpg
    • migtig4.jpg
    • migtig5.jpg
  2. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Max pressure should be on the regulator body

Looks to be a co2 regulator stem not 200bar stem

Don't make a mistake , be 100% sure

3. Nomad Member

Will they physically fit? I thought c02 was different to the others ( male on c02 gauges, same thread but female on non-c02 regulators)?
    Better informed folk will be along soon to confirm ;)

4. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    The recommendation by BOC is that pressure regulators are refurbished or replaced with new at least every five years. Those regs look much, much older than that. Is it worth the risk? A regulator failing on the high pressure side can be quite dramatic, and dangerous!!

metalmelt likes this.
  5. metalmelt Member

Most, but not all CO2 regulators are not rated at the standard 230 or 300 bar of argon/co2 mixes and shouldn't be used as they are only designed for the 1/2" BSP male threads of a CO2 cylinder and most industrial argon CO2 mixes use the standard 5/8 BSP female thread; what usually happens is they change the CO2 stem for a argon/co2 mix regulator stem so they physically fit an industrial bottle and end up with a 160 bar regulator which fits an industrial bottle of 230 or 300 bar and you can imagine the results.

6. A evans New Member

Thanks guys. I'm just going to wait till end of the month and get new regulators for both my mig and tig.

garethp likes this.
  7. Jay1st

Jay1st AdeptusMechanicus wanna be.

FYI a CO2 tank does not store high pressure gas, it's liquid, the gas bit is small and at low pressure compared to Ar/CO2 mix tank.
    1K PSI (roughly) vs 3K, so i would not play with that !!!

When i was in the oilfield there was a training called " teasing the tiger".....guess who wins all day long.

Farside likes this.
Advertisements