Will my compressor run an air fed mask?

1. BenMig150 New Member

Hi Guys,

Not been on here in a while since I got my first welder, welding is now going well and have now moved on to air compressors and tools or shall we say new "toys" ha ha..

Anyway I'm looking for a bit of advice, I have a 3hp 100L SGS compressor I'm sure you've seen the ones. What I want to know is would this be capable of running an air fed mask alone without the compressor constantly running? I don't want to run any other tools from it at the same time as I plan to use my other bigger compressor for the tools. My idea is to keep the 100L compressor outside where it can draw in fresher air if I'm painting etc inside the workshop and run a hose to the 3 stage filters for the mask and then obviously connect up the air fed mask and hopefully be good to go?

Does this sound like a good set up or am I missing anything?

Cheers!

2. anjum Member

Yes it should do. Almost definitely.

Good plan for the set up. Has the 3 stage filter got a carbon filter incorporated.

Memmeddu and BenMig150 like this.
  3. carbon

carbon Member

Depends on the mask some use approx 10cfm whilst others claim less. But would hope that a 3hp compressor was in the 10cfm range. If the compressor runs constantly and the pressure drops then it’s not providing sufficient air

Usually with three stage filters it standard filter, coalesing filter and carbon filter then mask.

fizzy and BenMig150 like this.
  4. Jbo2231 New Member

I had this compressor for 2 months, nearly exact same situation. While working on a woodworking project over a long weekend I was running it outside while sanding inside (electric sander) while occasionally blasting the dust off for 4 to 5 seconds every so often. Compressor ended up burning the electric motor out, not sure if it's related. I was using a devilbiss air fed 'pro' mask if that helps.

I may have had a dodgy compressor, or the thermal overload switch was faulty as it didnt trigger. I was running it for 3 or 4 hours a day over 3 days.

A sidenote about the compressor, I found the bolts securing the covers over the pistons had started to work themselves loose. After checking some of the other fasteners they were also only finger tight. might be worth checking them? They dont need to be really tight but more than finger tight as it vibrates a lot.

Hope that helps!

BenMig150 likes this.
  5. BenMig150 New Member

Thanks for the replies, well I'm going to buy the air fed mask set up and see how it goes, also thanks for the heads up on the air compressor I'll check everything is tight. its been ok so far so hopefully I won't have the same issue!

6. BenMig150 New Member

Just thought I would update this for anyone thinking of doing the same in future, the SGS 100L compressor will run the mask but after around 40 seconds the compressor will kick in and then run constantly as its not powerful enough to recharge whilst the mask is taking air unfortunately. So looks like I might have to have a re think.

7. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

Well if it’s not good enough, we will soon know by the lack of responses to this post.

8. carbon

carbon Member

What mask did you use?

9. julianf

julianf Member

I have some devilbis mask and a 1ph compressor that sucks enough current to eat 13a fuses for breakfast (ie first start of the day) and it runs continuously with the air fed.

10. julianf

julianf Member

Because air fed masks are not sealed I guess there is just no hope of them running on low air volumes.

As, when you breath in, there needs to be enough incoming air flow such as the mask itself never dips into negative (sucking in air) pressure.

I don't know what the capacity of some human lungs is, but you can fill them in less than a second. If the mask is supplying (using) less air than that, you're going to be filling them with contaminated air.

11. BenMig150 New Member

It’s one of the cheap crusader ones, but i figured they all probably use a similar amount of air or are there ones that use less? Quite like the look of the DeVilbiss pro masks but not sure if it’s worth the £250+ for something I only use occasionally.

I did try it out again whilst spraying today though and even though the compressor runs constantly I think it might be okay for now as I’m only inside for a few minutes putting on a coat of paint then I can go outside and take off the airline allowing the compressor to recharge fully.

12. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Member

we’re you running the compressor off an extension lead?

13. Jbo2231 New Member

Nope, just off a socket.

Despite being expensive the devilbiss is a good mask. Not worth skimping on safety equipment!

14. carbon

carbon Member

15. BenMig150 New Member

Yes it has a whistle that goes off if the pressure drops, it seems to keep up ok though so far. The data sheet you linked there looks correct, same as the one that came with the mask.

16. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

May I ask how many psi it should deliver?
    I think barely enough to open the valves

Advertisements