why does my welder trip the breaker?

1. Fife Member

hi I have a boc 190c mig welder single phase. I have just had a new 6mm swa cable wired up to my garage with a 16amp socket fitted for the welder. The problem is I can't run it on full power or it trips the breaker. It was wired to a b16 amp and because that didn't work my electrician fitted a b32 amp and it still trips. Why is this happening? The welder has 8 power settings and it even tripped on the 16amp breaker on setting 7. Setting 7 works fine on the 32amp breaker. Any advice on this subject would be grateful.

2. Fife Member

WP_20160408_16_48_31_Rich_LI.jpg This is what i have. The rcbo on the left isn't wired to anything that was initially used for the 16amp socket.

3. MattH

MattH Member

(*editted*)

C type breaker.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Second that

5. Fife Member

Thanks for the reply's. What is the most amperage of welder that could be used on the 6mm swa cable?

6. daleyd

daleyd Member

It depends on the length of cable and how/where it is run, but it should be pretty substantial and enough to run a decent sized welder off. You'd ideally need a sparky to look at your install for a definitive answer though.

The idea behind c type breakers is they are able to tolerate higher start up current for longer periods than b type breakers so the initial surge in power up "shouldn't" trip them.

7. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

No name brand breakers might also be a cause of the tripping.
    They look like skank Wylex copies, I'd get them changed too.
    Is the run to your garage a long one and is that run the 6mm cable you mentioned?

8. Fife Member

The 6mm swa cable from the house to the garage is about 20 metres long.

9. Kent

Kent Member

Sounds like you need a new spark

10. brightspark

brightspark Member

what input amperage does it say on the welder data plate. if your leccy had anything about him he would have a clamp on ammeter and show the inrush current and peak hold and that would answer the question in seconds what the problem is

ford34/2 likes this.
  11. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

My initial thought was it may be tripping on earth fault rather than overcurrent - but it looks like every circuit except the welder has earth fault protection - they are RCBOs but the welder is just an MCB - I think....
    I'm assuming the entire garage supply is earth fault protected at the supply end as well - if not, I would be a bit wary of running the welder without some sort of RCD.

123hotchef likes this.
  12. ford34/2 Member

Cramlington,Northumberland. United Kingdom
    bit of a mish mash of unexplained combinations, I`m guessing this board is fed from the House DB ??? whats the breaker and protection for the SWA cable to the garage?
    Worse, we have a 16amp socket protected with a 32 amp breaker??

Stan

13. Fife Member

The 32 amp breaker is only there because the b16 amp was tripping so should be getting replaced with a c16amp. The garage is on the house consumer unit on a 32amp breaker.

14. Fife Member

Will my welder run on a 16amp breaker or do I need a 32amp breaker and change the socket to a 32amp?

15. daleyd

daleyd Member

It "should" run on a 16 amp breaker but maybe not up to max current. There should be a data plate somewhere on the welder that will show the input current, this will confirm what is needed.

16. Fife Member

Here is the data plate.

• wp_ss_20160409_0001.png
  17. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Looks like it's a 20a supply needed.

18. Fife Member

Yeh so I need to get a 32amp socket as well then.

19. Kent

Kent Member

My shop has a supply taken from the main fuse before the house board
    There is an invite fuse in case of cable overload but it's a big cable and a big fuse
    In the shop a separate breaker board.

What's with this taking off the house board buisness. I have that out to the other out buildings and it's a darn big faff! I sure wouldn't like the shop wired like that

Your plant asks for a 20 amp so give it a 20 amp slow

If your whole shop connects back to 32 amp with say the welder running and another tool plus lights it's going to be constantly tripping surely?

20. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

I would expect that to run fine on a c16 breaker from a reputable manufacture, unless you are welding continuous production on full power.

Advertisements