Which would you choose and why?

1. donkeyoaty New Member

Hello all,

I have a budget of around £1000 for a machine only, it will be used in a newly built home workshop (can put a separate 16A or 32A circuit) and will predominantly be used for making things like: a welding table, plasma cutting table, a ballast box for my tractor, and other general little projects for myself. Nothing too heavy duty I suspect.

So I have it trimmed down to a few inverter machines (I like their compact size, and the idea I could use it on jobs outside of the workshop should I need to)
    I'm looking for a quality brand, and easy to use.
    I have found suppliers selling all for a very similar price.

-Kemppi MiniArcMIG evo 200 (I'm leaning towards this one)
    -Ebas Caddy Mig C200i (This is much more money with a lot of retailers but a couple of box sellers are selling it in this price range)
    -Parweld XTM 201 Di Digital Multi-Process Inverter Welder (Am I going to miss not having the multi function if I get one of the others?)

Thanks in advance for everyones suggestions and hopefully experience with any of the above machines.
    But which would you choose and why? Or does it not really matter, they are all good?

Please note:
    I have done nothing but search this forum on the above machines but hasn't cleared up my head (to head to head)
    I live in the very North of Scotland so are not going to be too worried about buying from a box seller as opposed to a dealer.

Cheers

2. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I've got the Kemppi you mentioned above - so my view on this is very likely to be quite biased!

It has to be one of the easiest welders to weld with, mainly due to the synergic settings it has.
    You just select the gas you're using, the material, and the thickness - and it just seems to work.

I've manually tweaked the settings a few times, but usually for no real reason, mostly just to see how far you can push the various settings, and another time to see if I could maintain "spray transfer" with some 5 or 6mm steel I was welding at the time.

I've had a go on an Esab Caddy, too - but I still like the Kemppi better - but, as I said I'm bound to be somewhat biased, and assume it's, at least partly, a subjective thing.

There must also be opposing opinions from those with a Caddy, or the Parweld - who'd not want to change to any of the other two, I guess.

It didn't have a euro-torch socket, but Kemppi do one that fits, (or more accurately, is designed for it!) which is on mine, now.

It's not drilled into the casing, though - as is usually the way - it's a short-ish umbilical lead, that hangs out of the front of the unit, through the same opening that the torch cable would normally pass through.

Easy to fit, too - it only took a couple of minutes - even for me!

The only other folk I can think off hand that have the same machine are @Pigeon_Droppings2 & @pedrobedro.
    Not overly helpful, though - as I think they're quite happy with them, too.

I've not seen many (or even, any) negative reviews for it, so far - but I've had this one for at least five years, so I don't actively look for reviews on it, now - as it'd be a bit too late, really!

When it moves anywhere outside the workshop - it has it's own 18mm ply "transit box", and it generally has a fairly easy life here, so it won't be all that surprising to know I've never had a problem with it, as of yet.

I'm sure more comprehensive (& better!) reviews/opinions will follow this one - but personally, I'd happily recommend them.

All the Best,
    CJ

Nearly forgot my manners, there! - "Wecome to the Forum!"

duncans, Wallace, donkeyoaty and 2 others like this.
  3. tom2207 Member

If your looking at tractor parts etc , and have 32amps to play with , maybe a 240 amp machine if its for your workshop and you dont have to lift it about an older transformer machine may be worth thinking about is there a local welding shop that may be able to offer you a trade in machine , with service back up ,, just thinking out loud , you soon run out of power on heavier stuff .

Wallace and donkeyoaty like this.
  4. donkeyoaty New Member

Thanks kindly for the detailed response Country Joe and the warm welcome. I'll certainly put that down as a vote for the Kemppi. :)
    I've learnt a lot from this great forum already.
    I think, as you have mentioned, the auto settings are a real asset to the Kemppi machine, plus I have yet to find anyone with anything negative to say about Kemppi as a brand, and it gets mentioned in the same breath as Miller, Fronius etc.
    In my mind it feels like an entry level product in a luxury brand line up.......... Kemppi's version of the Porshe Cayman if you like?
    The only negative I can see and tom2207 above has alluded to it - will it be man enough for the small number of jobs I throw at it?
    But I guess the same could be said of all 3 machines........ hence why I "had" discounted that argument.
    My tractor is only 40hp so its certainly not built like a 90hp Farm Tractor and the steel I'll be using I can't ever see being over 6mm, at the very max.
    Thanks again.

Country Joe and tom2207 like this.
  5. tom2207 Member

You could do worse than a 240 oxford , just an alternative and it would be brand spanking new .

6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Kemppi 200 Evo all the way for me...had mine 8+ years and very happy.

Stainless,braze,mild,Ali...set up in 5-10 minutes...right setting from first pull of the trigger. No need to faff...no need to dig out a chart of settings.

I could do with a voice reminder to turn the gas on and clamp the earth though :laughing:.

duncans and johnyev like this.
  7. tom2207 Member

as long as you remember to turn it off ,,,

johnyev likes this.
  8. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

Just to throw another spanner in the works but the Parweld 211DI ticks all the boxes (synergic mig, tig and mma) with the addition of being a full featured ac/dc tig with Hf start and pulse settings.
    Ok, it’s more money than the others but for the extra you get I’d say it’s worth considering.

Country Joe and tom2207 like this.
  9. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

I have the Kemppi for mig...for stick/Tig I bought the Sherman (Jassic Clone).

Not sure I would want it all in one..too much to go wrong...and if it does you could have no welder at all while it's fixed?

500e and tom2207 like this.
  10. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

Good video of the features of the XTM 211DI here.

11. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

I'd buy whichever machine I could get from my local welding shop, ensuring I'd have back-up and help with the machine in event of problems :)

Honestly. They're all good machines mentioned so far. I'd probably lean towards Kemppi but that's because I'm a brand snob. But realistically, I'd want to talk to someone face to face about it and make a purchase based on the degree of warm fuzzy feeling felt in the shop.

Advertisements