Which Press

1. aikmanmosquito New Member

Hello, I’m new to this forum, but a home welder. I’m in the lookout for a hydraulic press and was wondering if anyone can advise what’s the best make to go for. Was considering SGS engineering, as they seem to get a good name, however SIP seem to be good also. Normally I’d have bought either a Clarke or Sealey, but they now don’t seem to get as good reviews as they once did. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Melvyn Best Member

If you can find one an Epco press would be my choice

3. aikmanmosquito New Member

I’m seeing the brand ‘Mega’ come up fairly often, are they any good

4. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

make ur own....easy peasy........ IMG_1024.jpeg IMG_1022.jpeg IMG_1023.jpeg
    thats a 20-25 ton Tngye alloy jack.....
    mine has a sliding top plate so I can push out seized pistons and liners from tractor engine blocks.....

Parm likes this.
  5. aikmanmosquito New Member

I don’t have the time, I need one this week.

6. sako243

sako243 Member

In that case isn't it a case of whoever can deliver one in time? :whistle:

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. aikmanmosquito New Member

Well yes, but I would rather try and get a decent make!
    I’ve heard Sealey and Clarke aren’t as good as they used to be, SGS engineering get mixed reviews, but the name ‘Mega’ has been mentioned a few time’s as a good make! Just really wanted to find out what other people have had experience with as I want the press to last a fair amount of time

8. MetalMonkey Member

Mega are a Spanish company, Melchor Gabilondo, they are supposed to be good and well known for their jacks. You could also look at CAM equipment which I believe are still UK made.

The majority of the SGS, Clarke, Sealey etc are all Chinese in different colours. Some are better built than others.

I have an Automotech 30 ton, again a fairly generic Chinese press, but it has a direct push cylinder and a moveable ram which are both very handy features, and it is reasonably priced with decent support. It is probably only 30 "Chinese tons" but I've not found anything that it can't press yet. My only gripes is I wish it had air over hydraulic and a winch, but that is me being lazy.

I would personally avoid the ones that are a glorified bottle jack and go from something that looks like it has a decently stout frame.

It is hard to look past the Chinese ones for the price, especially if it isn't a tool you are using day in day out.

James1979 likes this.
  9. aikmanmosquito New Member

Thank You! I’m going to be using it fairly frequently as I’m currently using one in a friends garage. I’d rather go for the Mega one as I’ve had experience with ‘Chinese made’ equipment before and the real issue is when something goes wrong!

10. My Old Landy

My Old Landy Member

I have a cheap Chinese one that gets used perhaps once a month. If I were going to be relying on it then I would go for a named brand with warranty.
    I don't have experience of Mega so I would suggest checking their warranty details before purchase.

Advertisements