Where to weld?

1. OhLouise Member

I live in a flat & want to practice welding, in readiness to weld on my camper.

I don’t have a driveway & my van is parked on the street. The first thing I’m looking to weld is an inner and outer sill.

Am I allowed to weld in the street??? It’s a quiet street & can wait until people aren’t passing by. Maybe 5 cars & 3 people pass by the van per hour...?

Or should I just pay someone to do it... ☹️

2. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

i THINK YOU WILL HAVE COMPLAINTS IF WELDING IN A PUBLIC PLACE. You also are leaving yourself open to lts of hassle from less understanding folk, and heaven forbit if you had a fire. I would beg borrow or steal a small workshop space, or let someone else do the work, Just my opinion.

3. RonMig

RonMig Forum Supporter

I agree with Lazurus - with no offroad workspace at my previous house, even small jobs were a nightmare working at the kerbside...

At best, friendly neighbours will chat to you & distract / stop you working...
    :doh:
    At worst you leave the job unattended for 30 seconds and come back to find stuff has disappeared...
    :(

Top of my list in choosing current home was a drive and garage & private workspace.

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Or a passerby will claim that you gave them arc eye and sue for pain & discomfort. :mad:

5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Is this a serious question?

How would you get power to the street in the first place :dontknow:

definitely one of those jobs to outsource in your situation. Bad enough welding rusty sills in a garage let alone out in the wind and rain.

that’s before health & safety comes into play.

Hopefuldave, stuvy, a111r and 5 others like this.
  6. a111r Member

Welding sills (anywhere) is not a 'first job', either.

tom2207 and gt6s like this.
  7. tom2207 Member

welding sills with a stick is hard work , real hard work , and not a lot easier with gassles mig , inners are cruel without a ramp . To be honest , weld for fun by all means , but this wont be fun

8. OhLouise Member

Clearly, because I asked it...

Yet you respond asking me how I’d get electricity there?! :laughing: There’s this invention called a GENERATOR! :ashamed:

Not a lot of wind or rain down in the south at the moment.

But thanks for the reply.

Mr Roo, fenman and steviec_lj like this.
  9. OhLouise Member

At the moment it’s the ONLY thing that needs welding...

10. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    You need a good sized generator to run a welder, a fair bit bigger than you'd think.
    You really do have to be careful welding in public places, you could end up in all sorts of bother if someone decides they don't like you doing it.

Hopefuldave and tom2207 like this.
  11. tom2207 Member

lol ,,, laughing with you , not at you ,,, we mean its not a job suitable for a first time welding job , not that its the job you should do first.

Hopefuldave and a111r like this.
  12. tom2207 Member

reference generators

for what its worth Ill also bet most of us here have welded off an extension lead or two joined together at some point , way better than a gen set , even a good one can make welding hard work . You cant have leads laying across public paths though , you really need a garage space.

13. Matchless

Matchless Member

try to blag somewhere to work on it, or better still try to find an evening welding class to get a better idea of the job, then blag somewhere to work on it, with 240v power, doing any vehicle repairs in the street is unlawful, ok we usually get away with it but welding would be the last thing I would attempt, the vehicle would be sitting there for a good time partially stripped down, I was once a mobile mechanic and did work in the street for a good few years but some jobs I took home to my parents drive as I did not want a vehicle up on stands in the street for days on end,

arther dailey, Hopefuldave and zx9 like this.
  14. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I'm going to be honest with you, I don't think your being realistic

I have been welding for a little while now, But I definitely wouldn't consider welding sills in the street with a generator as one of my first welding jobs

Hopefuldave and johnik like this.
  15. tom2207 Member

Ive been welding a life time ,,, and you wouldnt catch me at it. Not that it couldnt be done if it absolutely had to ,, just why on earth would you do that to your self.
    if needs be and your in a rush ,, do all the stripping and cleaning back , not the cutting out ,,,,, just the cleaning back , then pay some one with premises to do it for you , sills are structural and when your doing both an inner and an outer there is a way of doing it that wont let the vehicle sag in the middle , then the doors dont close and nothing fits .
    some times its just wiser to pay some one else ,,,, My grandad used to say , If you want a hat ,,, see a Hatter.

Hopefuldave, a111r, Gragson and 3 others like this.
  16. tom2207 Member

The other way to look at it may be like this
    If you wanted a vasectomy , , you wouldnt buy a Stanley knife and go looking for a medical book.

gt6s, Shedendman and Dadweld like this.
  17. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    I bet you some fool has:laughing:

tom2207 likes this.
  18. tom2207 Member

probably on u tube ...

Hopefuldave likes this.
  19. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I’d bet it’s against the law to carry out any kind of work on a public highway.

certainly not without an exclusion zone, risk assessments, Insurances.

generator, trailing leads, sparks, fumes, light from the arc.

you’re off your rocker, and certainly not going to make any friends on this forum with that attitude.

Hopefuldave and mtt.tr like this.
  20. a111r Member

Absolutely!
    My last time (1995) was on a 'friends' drive. Horrible. I replaced a Triumph Vitesse convertible's rear outrigger.
    Properly = flap cut in the rear body tub, so I could access and weld the upper edge to the chassis rail. As Canley intended.

An 8 hour job, IIRC. She gave me £20! Few days late, her sheepish boyfriend topped that up to £60.
    Not long after, it got stolen.

Wany and tom2207 like this.
Advertisements