Where to get cheap fire bricks?

1. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

Cheapest I can find is 25 quid ish for 5 blocks, I want 10 but hoping to pay less than £50 for them

Anyone know where I can get them? Or an alternative to firebricks? It is to insulate an electric forge

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

nightstore heaters

3. awemawson Forum Supporter

Find someone getting rid of an electric storage heater - packed with fire bricks and usually people are delighted if you take them away - try asking on freecycle. :)

:sheep::sheep::sheep:

4. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Remove the bricks before attempting lift the heater.

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

6. wyn

wyn Member

7. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

The bricks in storage heaters are not really firebricks. They are a thermal store, so absorb heat. You need to waste an awful lot of heat heating them up before they become effective.

Gareth0123 likes this.
  8. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

i should have given more info...i want to make an electric forge with a kiln heating coil and a temp controller...i want to put whatever insulation i can get into a cut up gas bottle...i thought of bricks as i could grind grooves into the inner side of the brike to house the heating element and then secure it away so there was little change of the crucible shorting the coils out...

firebricks can be cut with a wood saw so are idea for being shaped into a round container...

realistically i only want to melt ali...if that works well i will probably try a smaller one for heating steel to red for heat treating knives etc

9. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

10. sardine

sardine Member

Castree kilns do a refractory cement, you could mix it, and line the gas bottle any size or shape you want.

(In sections not one peice )

11. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

id rather use the old oil mix and use an air blower than use the electric supply to melt alluminium

12. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

i dont plan on using it very often...dont want any sort of fuel lying around, taking up space when i may only want to use it once in a while...its just something that can be made raltively cheaply and used as and when, just plug in and off you go

13. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

You could use a mix of ready mix fire cement and perlite to cast your own insulating bricks?
    Melting ali, youll only reach 850c? max so you dont neccesarily need 1500c bricks.

You could also go with ceramic blanket (not sure what a fireblanket is made of? Might work) and put a thin coat of fire cement on the inside.

14. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

the main reason for wanting bricks is so i can cut channels and house the heating elements...i can apparently get 1200C out of the elements with the controller i have bookmarked and can control it within 2 degrees using a SSR and a thermocouple.

as you say will only need about 850 but the Temp controller will help keep the coil from over heating and shortening the life of it

15. bigegg

16. bigegg

Theres a couple of youboob videos on casting firebricks from perlite and fireclay.
    Dunno what the soil is like near you, but i have fireclay (mid grey > white) about 2ft down in the garden.
    Its usually found in coal areas?

17. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

havent done much digging locally, my grandmother used to live about a mile away and the ground in her garden was pretty much all clay...only went about 8" down though...

i am in an area full of small streams, rivers, a lot of woodland too, no coal that i know of

18. bigegg

In general, the lighter coloured the clay, the more refractory (heat proof) it is.
    If you find someone digging some footings for a new building, you might be able to cadge a couple of buckets.

eSCHEn likes this.
  19. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

there is a huge part of a field being dug up a few mins up the road...cemetery and crematorium going in and they are digging something out soon to make way for it all...will have a look next time im out shooting

bigegg likes this.
Advertisements