When a pipe ruptures

1. Kayos

Kayos Member

Rig Pig and jsf55 like this.
  2. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Your choice of night time reading material really worries me @Kayos, try a subject that wont bring on a nightmare

poo bear.jpg

Wallace, stuvy, Parm and 3 others like this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Member

interesting is that sort of information

we deal with that often with our job with dead leg pipes for cold and hot water not forgetting the gas pipe

in our job i wouldnt have thought it would have an impact to a degree however with the likes of the flux it could have an affect on the piping itself if not cleaned after soldering but would take years to have an effect of the dog leg pipe becoming dangerous

Kayos likes this.
  4. AndersK Member

Search for fluid injection injury and you'll see the damage a rupture in hydraulic lines can do.

Never ever use your hands to locate a hydraulic leak.

I once had a close call. One expander plug shot thru my sleeve and just scratched my shoulder at 1200 bar.

Parm, Kayos and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. Kayos

Kayos Member

I've priced a care home refurb and (despite the fact they will be charging 6 x £1300 per week) they want to "revise the spec"
    I was looking for legionella stuff to send them

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Were you planning on the plumbing equivalent of a ring circuit?
    I have observed that almost all of the hospital showers have some sort of inbuilt timer and will run for a short period at least once a day automatically.

7. gaz1

gaz1 Member

eLuSiVeMiTe and dobbslc like this.
  8. Kayos

Kayos Member

Its called a secondary hot water return loop, including a pump.

It doesn't have to be done that way but you need the water at the furthest outlet to be 55deg in one minute, not going to happen in this setup without the loop and I wont be liable for it

9. Kayos

Kayos Member

It's already an old care home but doubling the wetrooms and no existing loop in place, I've quoted £28k plus vat to install the wetrooms, new plant room and the secondary loop. I thought I'd gone in cheap as well

10. gaz1

gaz1 Member

stick to your guns kayos at least you know you wont get any comebacks at you

if they want another installer to do it let them as you wont be held responsible if anything occurs as not your job

Kayos and Parm like this.
  11. Kayos

Kayos Member

That is the basis of the call I'm making monday, I'm happy to tweak things but if they want to bodge it someone else can do the job. I dont need the work, would be nice but I'm not cutting corners in a healthcare setting

slim_boy_fat, zx9 and jenki like this.
  12. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Legionella by any chance?

Have a search around this

https://www.dolphinsquare.co.uk/about-dolphin-square/legionnaires-disease-update/

Stuff of proper nightmares. Drinking water comes from bore holes and no one knows how many dead legs there are. Over 2000 flats !!!!!

13. Kayos

Kayos Member

The one I linked was a pipe that ruptured and dumped 75 tons of "boiling hydrocarbons" due to a dead leg on the pipe splitting

I was searching for legionella stuff and that came up

Parm and davidjohnperry like this.
  14. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

There was a big fire explosion in one of the USA refineries, due to liquid dropping out in a dead leg then freezing, forget which one. Its often used in process safety training.

Let them bodge it, you can then get double to put it right!

Kayos likes this.
  15. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Il bet half the older systems that have had combi boilers Installed cheaply have a good few dead legs.

Seen a fair few myself

gaz1 likes this.
  16. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Is a radiator or a sink thats not been turned on or used for a long while not also deemed a dead leg :dontknow: All sounds like a load of that jabber stuff to me :scared:

Bob

Barlidge and dobbslc like this.
  17. gaz1

gaz1 Member

yes it can but when radiator turned back on it will flush around the heating system again

its long term never used dead legs that can have air in them as well as dead water the heated side is worse than the cold side

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  18. Kayos

Kayos Member

Sink that hasn't been used is considered a risk. Single ended supplies will have sentinel taps, usually first and last, these should be used periodically

Legionella is a very real and serious risk, the bacteria thrives at temperatures we like for showering and a shower makes water mist, perfect way to get it into your system

A radiator isn't as much of a risk unless you are bleeding it, I've seen some nasty infected tanks though

Obviously this is more relevant in a care home or health care environment, I have opened a tap at the far end of a large property and got some nasty black water out once, again not what I'd want to be touching

slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  19. gaz1

gaz1 Member

Temperature affects the survival of Legionella as follows:[3]

• Above 70 °C (158 °F) – Legionella dies almost instantly
    • At 60 °C (140 °F) – 90% die in 2 minutes (Decimal reduction time (D) = 2 minutes)
    • At 50 °C (122 °F) – 90% die in 80–124 minutes, depending on strain (D = 80–124 minutes)
    • 48 to 50 °C (118 to 122 °F) – can survive but do not multiply
    • 32 to 42 °C (90 to 108 °F) – ideal growth range
    • 25 to 45 °C (77 to 113 °F) – growth range
    • Below 20 °C (68 °F) – can survive, even below freezing, but are dormant

20. Kayos

Kayos Member

38-42 is limit for showers so water is stored at 70 and circulated at 60, only blended at the point of use

gaz1 likes this.
Advertisements