What to use for blast cabinet dust extraction

1. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

I just switched on my Chinese eBay bought dust extractor on my blast cabinet, it's been used once before, and the motor blew. It's only four months old and I expect problems getting my money back as I don't think Paypal protection covers faulty goods.

I'm not sure what to replace it with. I can see there's lots of sawdust extractors around, but would they survive grit from a blast cabinet?

There's ones like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-ha1000-183m-hr-dust-extractor-240v/15408

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

i use a 4inch woodchip extracta but bought mine for 40 quid second hand a new one is well over a ton

Parm likes this.
  3. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Crater Creator and brightspark like this.
  4. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

Yeah rtbcomp is right - I use a cheapo Aldi/Lidl ashpan vacuum cleaner stuck in the outlet filter hole. Works great for my small blast cabinet but noisy as hell.

5. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

Will a vacuum cleaner work? Last time I tried a vacuum cleaner it burnt out after a few days, I thought it's because they're not designed to be constantly on.

I've been wondering about using one of these little ones as doubles up as a vacuum cleaner. The flow rate is much lower but might be enough. I think when I used to use a vacuum cleaner in my previous huge 2m blast cabinet it worked ok.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach...0v/31896#product_additional_details_container

I'm not fussed about noise as I have the compressor next to me anyway so I wear fenders. I also don't use it often.

6. rtbcomp

I assume there is a vent on the cabinet to let air in? This is usually opposite the hole you connect the extractor to. You need this to get airflow through the cabinet, the air supplied by the nozzle isn't sufficient.

7. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

There is a vent.

I've got one of these cheap blast cabinets and it works well, sturdy, and cheap:

[​IMG]

They come with an optional torpedo shaped extractor which is super powerful and nice to use but lasted no more than 2 hours of use:

[​IMG]

I can recommend the cabinets but not the extractors!
    I can see some people are using vacuum cleaners, are they powerful enough?

8. I have one of those and it has not been a problem, bar the noise. Bought with credit card from CJ Autos I think, so Section 75 applies.

9. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

I paid with Paypal but I'm within the 180 day limit.

10. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

Another idea.... use a cheap £30 wet dry vacuum... and put a K&N type air filter on the vacuum spout to protect it from the abrasive.

Some of you are probably cringing, but for someone who uses their blast cabinet once every two months, might be ok.

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

just buy a an inline 4inch fan and ducting and put the outlet outside. theres not 2 much dust and easy to sweep up or hose away :)

12. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

In the end I bought one of these adaptors off ebay and just plugged in my vacuum cleaner. Wife is happy because I've taken her old vacuum cleaner to my garage and bought her a new Henry vacuum cleaner. The vacuum is enough to keep the blast cabinet clear. If it wears out I'll just buy a £30 vacuum cleaner from screwfix.

[​IMG]

13. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

I sent back the faulty Chinese "torpedo" extractor and I got my money back off Paypal. The seller actually refused delivery, so I Interparcel will return the extractor to me. I'll have a go at finding a replacement motor because these extractors are actually a smart design, they don't take space, they have a huge filter and when the power is turned off the grit falls off the filter into the collector at the bottom.

[​IMG]

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. optima21 Forum Supporter

I got a small benchtop blaster over a year ago but still havnt used it yet. I've got an earlex wet and dry vaccum cleaner, and as I've already knackered one previously, I got a cyclonic power filter for a vacuum cleaner

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381438491108

no idea if it will work or not, but if it does its a neat answer to the dust problem.

so together with an earlex power tool adaptor, an adaptor that came with the filter, a 32mm 90 degree bend and a 32mm tank connector

DSC00126.JPG

once you make a hole in the side of the blaster, its all goes together very easily

DSC00127.JPG

and is easy to keep in the blaster too for storage

DSC00128.JPG

hopefully it'll work, only time will tell. :whistle::whistle:

15. cr500dom Member

Norfolk
    Did it work ?

16. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I use a Dyson, sucks better than your...:whistle::laughing:

I have always meant to build a prefilter>vac on the hopper outlet underneath, as the grit fell through the vac would pull any dust out, [through a prefilter] with the heavier grit falling into a bin, to be reused in the pot

17. optima21 Forum Supporter

well there was a couple of inches of dust in the bottom of the filter and no deposits in the bottom of my vacuum cleaner. that might just be that smaller particles were sucked through and ended up back in the atmosphere

18. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

My vacuum cleaner can no longer keep up with keeping dust out since I switched over to Alu Oxide. The media supplier told me I need a 1kW extractor with a 3" inlet.

19. brightspark

brightspark Member

a 4 inch woodchip extractor can pull more air than a 3mm jet at 90 psi can put in and keeps the cabinet free from dust

20. rtbcomp

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements