What tig welder would I need to re create this part

1. SierraV6 Member

As per the other replies, what you’d like to attempt is a mammoth task! Even working with 2mm steel is a lot more difficult that shaping body panels at 1mm (or less). I, like seemingly everybody else on here, am up for a challenge but sometimes you need to be realistic about what you can achieve with the skills, equipment and time at your disposal.

If tubular arms aren’t allowed, I’d think about adapting something; how far out are the road car items? Even then, it’s obviously a safety critical part so you’ll need to be sure it’s done properly.

stuvy likes this.
  2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You’re steel gonna have to be ChromeMoly and may need a heat treatment after welding.

• 349B571D-0D04-45FC-9C87-38F14E7E370E.png
    Hopefuldave and stuvy like this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Can you stick up pics of the car, please? Is it still liveried? Be very interested in seeing it.

SierraV6 and mtt.tr like this.
  4. stuvy

stuvy Member

Ask a local engineering company how much to make it

or as mentioned get the parts made to spec and make the rest out of tube

Hopefuldave likes this.
  5. NathanO Member

Ok my first attempt at forming one of the curved 2mm pieces,I need to tidy the edges but a lot of hammering and two blisters later 6E182AC5-672A-41B8-BD79-2B3359B8AF66.jpeg 6529CE1E-EDE6-4144-8100-D0797387EDE7.jpeg A07C00CB-B08D-490B-8B39-EBD94117B861.jpeg C71FA79F-C832-4931-A962-5AF391165288.jpeg 6FFB6154-828A-428D-B0DD-EFF81003E57C.jpeg 099E07D0-FA3C-4905-866E-D51DB68BFF01.jpeg

Bluemotion, Richiew, MBB and 8 others like this.
  6. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

Oh, that's nice! I have a feeling we were all underestimating your abilities.

Are you sure those parts are just mild steel, though? Like Brad says, it's likely to be chromoly if it's a bona fide GT3 part.

rtcosic, wyn and stuvy like this.
  7. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I wouldn’t like to form that by hand in 4130. Would be easier to make in 2 parts.

Nice work.

stuvy likes this.
  8. NathanO Member

Not to sure , I’ve been looking in to it and some off-road races use mild steel rear trailing arms, but maybe not as this is tig welded.

9. seanc Member

northants
    Something tells me you may not be as new to fabricating as your first post sounded

10. minimutly Member

Pretty much all autograss (offroad) fabricated rear wishbones are mild steel, mig welded. Maybe a little heavy, but they never break, and only bend if there is a coming together.
    None are as tricky as yours though. But if you make a jig from your pattern I can't see a problem.

stuvy likes this.
  11. SierraV6 Member

That’s a good start, I suspect you have more experience than you first let on.... Did you tuck shrink the edges to form the curve? If so did you have to heat it?

A couple of further questions if you don’t mind:

1. What are you using as a form? Presumably something fairly durable!

2. As good as it looks, are you confident that it will all be dimensionally accurate? I imagine you’re working to tight tolerances.

Keep us updated with your progress. :thumbup:

stuvy likes this.
  12. NathanO Member

Yes , I had a shrinker/stretcher delivered yesterday just in time try it out , I was a bit sceptical to if it would work or not as working with a Shrinker designed for smaller gauge steel,no experience forming steel at all,I made a cardboard template of the original part and thenmade a forming block out of timber faced with 2x sheets of the 2mm steel,then with the same template added 20mm or so to the edges then clamped it to the block and dressed to metal over the form , I headed the steal mildly with a blow torch but not to hot as I didn’t what to get to much heat in to it .
    Im confident it will work but it’s early days, at the end of the day I know now I can form the shape which I was not sure would work with out heavy duty industrial bead rollers and shrinker/stretcher.

Im going to make the internal curve pieces next , I’ll do a step by step on the next piece, which my be a few days off as the weathers crap and I’m stuck in the house decorating .

I spoke to a guy yesterday at proformace metals in Daventry and they supply the motorsport industry,I may get a sheet of s515 and try to see if I can make it out of that which will make the part even stronger, don’t fancy trying chrome moly as you have to pre heat before tig welding and heat treat after from what I can gather.

willie.macleod, SierraV6 and Shox Dr like this.
  13. NathanO Member

A8EB4926-931E-4185-9284-E48FCB716CBF.jpeg

14. carbon

carbon Member

Made some rear swing arms for an autograss mini some years ago, went from this

Original.png

to this

New.png

definitely not as complicated but withstood the punishment

stuvy likes this.
  15. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

In general 4130 does not require heat treatment if its under 1/4", nor does it require preheat

16. NathanO Member

Oh ok that’s for the info

17. NathanO Member

Thanks for the info

18. NathanO Member

They look great mate

19. SierraV6 Member

I feel your pain re the decorating!

I’ve thought about making some forms that way myself but never have, for thin body steel plain timber/plywood is fine but adding steel to the faces obviously produces something longer lasting.

Again, keep us updated it’s an interesting project.

20. stevieturbo Member

It's one think copying the parts visually.....IMO the first thing you need to make is a jig based around the original arm, locating all critical points to enable you to actually make an exact copy.

tom2207 likes this.
Advertisements