What happens when excessive amps are drawn?

1. SilentGuy Member

Got a MIG 180 from R-Tech, haven't had time yet to try it, but I know that I won't be able to use it on it's maximum power setting on my household socket. It's currently setup with a 16A plug, which is connected to a 16A socket to 13A plug. There seems to be some range between what can be handled on a 13A setup, so if I exceed this range, what would actually happen in my case?.
    Would the fuse in the 13A plug blow, and then i'd need to replace it before it'll work again but won't affect the house electrical system, or would it trip, in which case is it a matter of flicking a switch to reset it, or would something need to be replaced?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, never tripped anything before, and don't want any downtime to cause any issues as it's for business use too.

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Yup 13 amp plug fuse will be the first to blow.

3. SilentGuy Member

Thanks.
    If it was connected directly to a 16A plug, would that be the case too? I didn't notice any fuse on the plug. Maybe i just overlooked it.

4. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

No fuse in a 16 A commando plug

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

As above. 16 amp relies on the mcb

6. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

If you MCB is sensitive it may trip before the 13amp fuse, happens in my shop - easier to flick the MCB than change fuses.

123hotchef likes this.
  7. SilentGuy Member

Wasn't sure what MCB meant, but looking from images, it seems my fuse box is of the older variety.

8. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

You ring main will have a 32A breaker. So that should not trip u less you have a heater and kettle on at the same time you are welding. So the weakest link is the 13A fuse wbhith will blow at some point.

A 16A spur will have should have a 16A breaker hence there wolud be no need for a fuse.

Hopefuldave likes this.
Advertisements