What 'fixed'helmet suitable for tig?

1. BRODTuning Member

south wales
    Hi all, im on the hunt for a 'fixed' helmet for stainless tig work (new job)....ive always used an auto helmet but since getting used to a fixed lens i much prefer it. The only downside being it can sometimes be awkward when tacking things up using the fixed lens helmet. Ive heared theres a helmet available with a clear strip at the top of the lens so you can position your torch and rod and then move your head slightly before arking up. Has anyone heared or seen one of these as this would be pretty much perfect!Any suggestions welcome and thanks for reading :)
    Brad.

2. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    This is what i use,the lower lens can be orange see-though or blanked off,love this helmet ,lost one got work to replace instead of an auto shield...Kemppi......you may have to inquire about the small lens before purchase though

3. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

fine if you are going to be welding within a narrow ampage range. Otherwise I'd say no good, unless you are going to swap out shades

4. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    True ,I normally weld between 35-110 amps ,I use a cheater lens (I'm old :laughing:).....think I have a din11but could be din 10 fitted but the cheater and clear optics are fine for the lower amps welding ,shade guide here ...welding shades....should point out the orange lens for positioning is below the main screen not above ,

5. BRODTuning Member

south wales
    The lowest amperage i weld at is roughly 30amps sometimes 25. The majority of my work is 45 or 70amps, slope up and down isnt generally used and i never have the opourtunity to use a footpedal as most welds are in awkward positions so a footpedal isnt much use to get the job done fast....thanks for the replies so far! ill have a think, cheers :)

6. BillFarworth Member

Birmingham
    Not an expert,but the Best thing I bought was the Red Globe helmet Autohelmet and this kind of helmet I will recommend to anyone.Cost me £50.00.No need to worry about shades etc.Saying that I own a welding shield but not really use anymore!
    If able to afford more there is many other good stuff around

Advertisements