What do you guys pay for gas?

1. 90anlu92 New Member

Just out of curiosity because I suspect my country is crazy expensive compared to most others, how much is welding gas where you live? In sweden, a rent-free 8L Argon bottle costs roughly £470 for the initial purchase, and then it's another £90 every time I want to have it refilled/exchanged. Because of this, I've actually chosen to try and opt out of the Swedish flask exchange system and instead import my gas bottles from Poland. I can get a full 8L bottle sent here for around £100 including shipping, and if it's made from aluminium which I suspect I can just melt it down once it's empty and use for my casting hobby. That'll save me roughly £20 in not having to buy the scrap aluminium from the scrapyard which brings my total down below the cost of a flask exchange (which is pretty insane if you ask me)... What's the situation like where you live?

Mr Roo likes this.
  2. AndersK Member

4800 sek 5 year rent, 1200 sek 20l refill Argon, AGA/ Linde

5500 sek 5 year rent, 900 20 l refill (old price), Nippon Gas

All +mom's (VAT for the illiterates in swedish ;))

90anlu92 likes this.
  3. Mr Roo

Mr Roo Member

Argon I think I’m £50/year for the bottle rent and around £50-60 per refill. Can’t remember which size that is, but it’s not ridiculous price.

That flask/bottle rent price is INSANE though.

4. TechWise Member

That seems pretty expensive!

Both my bottles are through BOC, price list is publically available here https://www.boconline.co.uk/en/images/industrial-gases-price-list-uk_tcm410-573314.pdf

I go through probably four E-50 size bottles a year and I shudder to think how much that would cost if I went down the hobby route. I would consider renting a professional type bottle unless you're using really miniscule amounts. I thought I would start off with an X size cylinder when I first got the TIG and used the whole bottle in one day.

5. 90anlu92 New Member

If I knew roughly how much gas I use over time I could calculate whether renting would be economically viable, but I don't weld on such a regular basis that it's really possible to even guesstimate. It's varies depending on what project I'm currently working on. Sometimes I go through loads of gas in a short period of time, and other times almost nothing for a long while. I think it's kind of funny though how they claim that a refill means paying the price of the gas only, but at the same time a refill costs roughly the same no matter what size the bottle is...

Agreed lol.

Yeah, the problem is I can't really say how much gas I spend at any given point in time. It depends on what I'm working on at the moment. That's why I feel renting is probably not my best option as that will cost money even if I don't do any welding at all for extended periods of time. But buying and refilling is ridiculously expensive, so I'm gonna try the import route and see what my actual cost is that way. Then I can reevaluate. But from what I've heard, a lot of people are actually recommending the import method claiming it's the most economic solution here in Sweden. Which is crazy in itself.

6. dyno-tron

dyno-tron Member

My local supplier charges £20 deposit on any size bottle (refundable when bottle given back), 100% argon refill or argon/co2 mix is £70 per 20lts. 100% co2 is £30 for 20lts.

AndersK and tom2207 like this.
  7. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    That's very cheap for the cylinder deposit. What company is it from?

8. AndersK Member

The price from Nippon is with 25% discount from list price because "for being a long and loyal customer" as the letter said when they notified me that my contract is up for renewal. What they didn't say is they will shaft me by moving the depot 35 km away instead of the 8 km I have today, and also have to give two days notice before changing bottles...

My loyalty is as long as my middle finger :D

So it's either AGA or back to AirLiquide.

We had a similar discussion on an American forum a few years ago. Someone there had been over here in the north and commented our prices was probably high because of transport costs on those difficult roads.

I agreed and said the truck drivers has problems with Vikings hijacking the loads and polar eating the drivers when they jump out for a pee.:whistle:

The Viking part they didn't buy but none questioned the polar bears
    ( Remembered an episode where Jay Leno asked Americans on the street what they knew about Sweden , we have big problems with Vikings and polar bears according to them ):D

9. 90anlu92 New Member

Holy crap that is insanely good. The initial purchase price of £470 for an 8L bottle over here is non-refundable, they don't even take them back. You buy them and you can exchange them, but not return them. You can sell them second hand, but not for anywhere near the original price.

10. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

80 odd euros a year for a half bottle in rental.

150 for a half big bottle of tig gas.

Too bloody expensive.

11. Jay1st

Jay1st AdeptusMechanicus wanna be.

65 euros refill, but had to buy the 2m3 bottle 70%argon 30%Co2 350 euros

12. barking mat

13. dyno-tron

dyno-tron Member

Pennine Gas in Sandbatch. Hopefully they are still trading after covid!

14. Jay1st

LINDE Mison, and it's the smallish fat bottle 2m3, so i can carry it with the welder

barking mat likes this.
  15. barking mat

I'll get a photo of my over priced bottle tomorrow.

That's for life , rent free?

16. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I want to say mine was about £120 for a 4 cubic meter bottle, plus an £80 deposit fully refunded if you return it in 6 months but a smaller and smaller refund up to three years when you get nothing back. That was 2014 and it's still got 60 bar in it so doesn't look like I'm getting my deposit back (Also doesn't look like they're getting their bottle back :whistle:).

17. Jay1st

For life and rent free, I own the bottle.
    And now i need an ARGON bottle......wondering if i got with a rental for a bigger bottle like 4m3 ???

Advertisements