Welding Wire

1. dravenali Member

Hello,
    First of all of this Site Rules! Woo HOO!

My question is in regards to welding wire. I have found this wire sold in the US designated ER70S-6 which is apparantly good for welding on less than ideal surfaces. It has built in deoxidizers. Has anyone used anything similar here in the UK or have any experience using such a wire?

Cheers
    D

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Hi dravenali, welcome to the forum. This is still a very new site and forum, but we do have plans for world domination very soon.

Looking at some spec sheets, It seems the ER70S-6 wire is equivalent to BS EN 440 which seems to be the standard MIG welding wire available in the UK. Mine came from BOC - they call it "Everyday Wire To BS EN 440: 1995 G3 Si1".

I guess it's pretty good stuff to use for automotive repairs as you'll never get both sides of a car panel quite as clean as new metal. There would probably be some slight strength benefits to using a lower silicone wire if you only ever had to fabricate new steel.

I've copied the spec for some BS EN 440 wire:

C 0.10
    Si 0.85
    Mn 1.50
    P <0.025
    S <0.025
    Cu <0.30

I found a range for the ER70S-6 wire:

C .06 - .15
    Mn 1.40 - 1.85
    Si .80 - 1.15
    S .035
    P .025
    Cu .5

Some more equivalent specs (possibly): BS EN 440; G3 Si 1; AWS A5 .18; ER 70 S-6; DIN 8559 SG2

Malcolm

3. dravenali Member

Thanks Malcolm,
    I have sent a mail to a US company by the name of Lincoln Electric and they are going to give me some details on the wire in question. I'll post the reply here when i get it.
    D

4. Alfred Member

Dundee
    Hi there

Can you let me know what wire is best for what job. ie thin metal (wings and things), thick metal (door posts or chassie)?

Thanks

5. malcolm

Hi Alfred,

I must admit I use 0.8mm wire for everything, although 0.6mm wire would be easier for body panels (1mm steel thickness and less).

I would expect 0.6mm wire to be OK for door pillars as well (up to about 1.5mm steel thickness), but 2mm steel and above (chassis thickness) would require 0.8mm wire.

Other than size there doesn't seem to be much choice in wire. I'd go for BS EN 440 "every day wire" given the choice.

6. Mat-C Member

London
    hmmm wire thickness

Hi again Malcolm and folks,
    so you'd suggest 0.8mm for anything above 2mm steel?
    I've been using 0.6mm for 3mm, which kinda works but perhaps not with the penetration I'd prefer... this might explain it ?

7. malcolm

To be honest I've only ever used 0.8mm wire, although I've had wire vaporisation issues when welding anything on my welders maximum setting (3mm steel thickness and over).

I also struggle big time welding anything under 1mm. I've read around and it sounds like thinner wire would make things easier.

I should experiment really. :D

8. Justin_LaFleur Member

Ontario Canada
    A simaler wire

Hey im new to welding but i have a great teacher and he lets me do what ever i want but anyway... to the wire i have used somthing simular but im in Canada it was on a nice millermatic 200 great machine and it is pritty good wire you can be like 2 and a half inches and you wont splatter its great! :D

9. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I tend to use .8 or 1.2,
    Anything over about 3mm thick i use the 1.2, and under use the .8.
    Although on a lazy day i have been known to use 1.2 on car panels, its ok as long as you get your settings right!

Advertisements