Welding long body panels

1. slihp Member

Hi guys

Im about to tackle this job. The inside of the bottom of this body panel on my van is rotting away, you can't see it much because of previous body filler. I will have to cut away all the bad parts and replace them with this body panel I ordered from the US. I know the rust probably only goes up half the height of the new panel my question is where is best to weld this on? Should I use the lip on the panel to mate it with the lip on the body? or would it be better to us maybe the curve just under the lip? or is the flat part the best? also I'm thinking to use as much of the new panel as possible as I know its good metal, more painting I know but better metal.

the panel is approx 14 inches x 70 inches

IMG_20200913_160105.jpg IMG_20200913_155936.jpg IMG_20200913_155921.jpg IMG_20200913_155855.jpg

2. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

3. wacky7791

wacky7791 Member

in my not very expert opinion I would use the whole repair panel and weld on the flat part above the curve. spaced tacks to minimize distortion.

• van.JPG
  4. metalmelt Member

The panels are oversize for a reason, so you can trim them down.

Cut just above or just below the swage line as this is the strongest point, clean to bare metal with a fine resin bonded disc and establish a good earth.

make very small tacks after clamping securely and do not be tempted to make any long runs as this will distort the panel.

I would go below the swage line as it is easier to blend the panel in with filler and it is less visible then a welded repair above the swage line.

Ashley Burton, Nick DV and stuvy like this.
  5. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Personally I would only cut out the least you need to remove & cut your repair panel to required needs

6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Try and get that dent in the rear arch sorted first,hard to judge from your photos,panel look straight,but looks like you've a slight bow on the body,might be me

Nick DV and stuvy like this.
  7. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

Ahh, I can see all of the post now :doh:

8. slihp Member

Thanks all. ye the panel is fine, think that's the GF head shadow. So I'm thinking of something like this or should I take it up a bit closer to the curve?

swagline.jpg

9. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    It'll be something like that,its not easy to see tbh,to much reflection,any chance of some shots from another angle?
    That replacement panel,is that meant to go right up to the door?

10. slihp Member

It is yes but my van is the LWB version so its about 3ft short from the door, but I'm hoping it long enough to catch all the rust spots but I wont know fully until I cut open the body section in the picture.

Shedendman likes this.
  11. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

step back take a photo of the vehicle

then go under neath and tak a shot toward the outer edge you can do it as i have done

need a better look underneath and also at side facing

Advertisements