Welding Gas

1. David Morland New Member

Hi,

I am looking at some welding gas advice, I currently have Cougar 20 which is 20% Co2 and 2% oxygen. I have been using this for a fair few years now and has been working fine. I have decided though due to now welding thinner pipe of 3mm mostly to get Cougar 5 when this bottle runs out which is 5% Co2 and 2% oxygen tri mix.

My question is that if I have my voltage set to setting 5 on the cougar 20 gas will I be able to increase the voltage and wire feed without blowing a hole straight through it. It would be nice if I could get upto spray if possible. Do you think this is possible with changing the gas?

Thanks.

2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Spray on 3mm will not work.

3. David Morland New Member

What would be the minimum thickness you'd say would be possible in spray with 5% Co2 2% o2 and also the minimum with 20% Co2 2% O2?

4. David Morland New Member

I will say when I'm welding on 5 setting in short circuit it's about right for 3mm steel and if I move it up to 7 setting it's in and out of spray but blows a hole through so it's not far off. Will the gas make that much difference?

5. David Morland New Member

Ps. Brad93

I beg to differ if you move fast enough it will. ak

Your response is almost spam!

6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Just talking out of my arse... If you know it will work so well, why ask the question in the first place?

You will not hold a stable arc with consistent penetration nor weld profile whilst travelling at the required speed to avoid burn through, with a solidwire.

But what do I know?

7. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

Maybe if you explain your methods a little more ie size of tube , are you auto rotating , rotating by hand , downhand , uphand ? Butt weld , gap , no gap ? it all needs considering as to speed of travel , spray is very hot and very fierce especially on thin wall !

8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

:vsad: Nice way to introduce yourself to the forum community. :rolleyes:

9. Don’t really understand the question, sorry, but if you want the same welding condition when you switch to a gas with less CO2 you would normally reduce the voltage

Agree with Brad re the spray transfer on 3mm

henry Kadzielski likes this.
Advertisements