Welding Galv Advice

1. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    You still need the milk though, for all the extra tea and coffee breaks you should take.

2. Kent

Kent Member

I don't have milk with anything at all personally

Parm likes this.
  3. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    I was just pondering that very question:laughing:

4. KemppiFrog Member

So.. I do weld galv occasionally. Mostly tube. I grind off the edges and don't get a lot of fumes. The Milk thing was told me back in the late fifties, when I first tackled stick (I was about 11..) The old school welder who gave me tips, used to smoke Capstan Full Strength at the rate of 100 a day..
    He recommended used tea bags on ones eyes for arc eye. Well frightened, I have not had it over the years since. Bit of flash, but not the 'sand behind the eyes syndrome' that he described.

Edit: I often heard that arc eye was suffered by other people in the work space, from reflected light, the welder was behind his mask, but the others didn't realise the risk.

Nick DV likes this.
  5. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

The best solution for welding galvanized material is using Flux core wire type E71T-11 (AWS classification). I have used INE & Hyundai (Superschield 11) with very good results. It is sold also from many other suppliers, if you google search the type you will find many results. The major benefit of using this flux wire is that you can have a strong fan pointing to the welding point to push away fumes, without fear about the gas. You can also weld outdoors, or use a fume absorber. TIPS:

1) Always use Reverse polarity in your MIG welder when using no gas flux wires.
    2) As welding on galv material causes many spatters, you can increase INDUCTANCE, if your machine has this ability.
    3) Spray also the surrounding area with an anti-spatter spray or liquid and clean with a light wet cloth the surface after welding.
    4) If you want to make more accurate weldings, you can remove the gas nozzle, so you can see better your welding point.
    5) It's better to place the fan at the back & side of you, so it will push away the smoke from you and welding position.

Nick DV likes this.
Advertisements