Welding chain and removing a valve

1. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

As the title says I would like to get some chain to make decorative legs on small tables, and now a wood burner from a 13kg gas bottle.
    So, any types of chain to avoid, or hints for a newbie MIG user. And some advice on removing the LPG gas valve is it a simple unscrew on a R.H thread or is their some dark magic needed?

Cheers

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Iirc [:ashamed:] the regulator is L/H thread

The_Yellow_Ardvark and Lazurus like this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

The valve into the gas cylinder is a normal thread. I lay them on their side and sit on them then beat them round with a drift and hammer. Regulators for propane fuel gas are left hand thread but not the valve. :)

4. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Yeah I beat the living daylights out of the one I had to remove the valve from the bottle!

5. anto44

anto44 Member

Handy tip for using chain like that is to hook one end of the chain onto something solid and hook a ratchet strap or something similar to the other end of the chain and attach that to something else and pull the chain as tight as you can then when you weld it you'll have a perfect straight piece of chain.

6. anto44

anto44 Member

Something like this
    15459296722336638100236076453913.jpg

stuvy, JEZGUZ, Lazurus and 3 others like this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

That's probably what I was thinking about. :ashamed: As you were, move along, nothing to see here......:laughing:

pedrobedro and Lazurus like this.
  8. brightspark

brightspark Member

just whack the side of the valve with a 2. 1/2lb hammer 3 or 4 times and it will come out

9. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Try and find old ungalved, unpainted chain. and cut the valve guard off the gas bottle it's easier to get at the valve without that in the way.

brightspark likes this.
  10. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    or lay it in a length of angle,

brightspark and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements