Welding an NLA BMW exhaust box

1. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Schmeidmann I believe it is, do a lot of OEM parts for various BMW’s..

2. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Also looks extremely similar to the E34 535i exhaust..

Check realoem.com for the part number

3. Randall977

Randall977 Member

I found a company called Wallothesch (based in Germany), they supply a lot if classic BMW stuff including exhausts. I ordered a back box and it arrive last week - manufactured last year by BMW - so still available :thumbup:

24e.jpg

slim_boy_fat, zx9 and james butler like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

:thumbup: Cough**cough** - post #7 :whistle: :D

Keep the updates coming, please - great to see an old BM being 'saved'. :hug:

5. tinker jim Member

So I've always had this idea in the back of my mind to weld a bleed valve on the lowest part of the exhaust box much like a air compressor has to let moisture out of the box if your pride and joy doesn't get many miles on it.might get a bit more life out of it and save it from rotting from the inside out.

Randall977 likes this.
  6. Randall977

Randall977 Member

...thanks Slim Boy Fat - it was your post which encouraged me to look!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. james butler

james butler Member

its actually not much more money to go to a stainless exhaust outfitters and have a custom one made for the car and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
    i put one on my rocco, from the downpipes back to the tip of my choice was £230

tinker jim likes this.
  8. chris y Member

Durham England
    The original one will be a better item from a design point of view for the car, its the way I'd go if available. One off stainless ones are very much a compromise and a bit hit and miss depending on the decisions of the man on the day about which components to use.
    There is a lot of science and design in an OE exhaust that the stainless man cant do but they are great when there is no other affordable option.

Regarding the drain idea, great idea that will probably work well.
    The only likely problem is how you will join it to the box, if you weld it you might be causing corrosion where you are welding, and if the box is double skinned it will be a pain to do, especially without just providing the condensate with a path to get between the skins and stay there causing corrosion.

If you can come up with a good way to join it on its a good idea.

Some OE exhaust just have a hole in for that purpose, but once its got some corrosion around it MOT testers think its rotted through.
    Another OE solution is a pitot tube to use the venturi effect to suck the water out which is why you will see some cars with water pouring from the exhaust at certain times.

GW8IZR likes this.
  9. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

Surely you just make them bigger and fit twin tail pipes?

I always smile when I see one of the Corsa boys riding along a dual carriageway with the exhaust howling away - I always think gawd that must be tiring after a few miles :-)

10. chris y Member

Durham England
    One of my cars had a stainless one off fitted when I bought it, cost £450 for the previous owner to have it made by Powerflow in 2009.

Its a turd as far as exhausts go, badly welded, not enough hangers, even with 5 silencers (yes 5) the noise was awful, motorway drone that the kids hated.

I've still got the exhaust, and the car, but not joined together, I fitted something decent to the car and should really scrap the awful exhaust.

Advertisements