Weld Stacking

1. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Pushing reduces penetration and increases weld width. If you need deeper pen pulling is always an option. Its not bad practice.
    It also lessens the chance of the arc moving outside of the gas shield because it stops the torch angle becoming too flat plus you are travelling into the gas rather than away from the gas.

Learning, metalmelt, Munkul and 2 others like this.
  2. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

So i experimented from what i have read by all your replies and this is the results of push, pull and running directly aimed at the area to be filled.
    There is no visible difference in stack at all.
    There is some great rpelies tbf and im glad my curiosity caused such a nice debate !

• 20201120_141001.jpg
    • 20201120_140853.jpg
    • 20201120_140834.jpg
    • 20201120_140610.jpg
  3. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Or, if there's slag, you drag!

4. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

I would also imagine this as you are forcing more heat via direction into a finer point that is already heated from the weld pool rather than forcing into a colder area with no weld pool.

5. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

Anyone who is practised wouldnt have the problem of making a mess due to knowing the speeds you need to weld at ?

6. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

Also yes i am late to my own party and had to go over replies to come up with some sort of input so i do apologise ! Joys of ADD meaning i have problems with replies and such ! lol

7. Andrew Hayes

Andrew Hayes Member

Hardly hollywood tbf, you get just as much if not more heat into the two joining metals with slowing down your welds rather than just a horrible fat continious line...so better penetration.

8. Ged93 Member

This is called 'waving' , yes americans use it a lot because if done right you can obtain a good looking result , like a tig weld .
    And that's why it's used , ONLY for appearance , this tecnique is absolutely forbidden in case of structural weldings as with this method you won't pass any sort of control ( xrays , ultrasounds and so on ) and the final mechanical resitance of the welded part is very low , any ispector will not accept it , and personally I consider 1000 times better a well done classic mig pulsed weld than a waved one ( have you ever seen ones made by the EWM Titan or Selco Genesis ? Absolutely crazy ... )

You can do this waves easily if you have a double pulsed mig machine , expecially on alu and stainless

Nick DV and backpurge like this.
  9. Nowt to do with getting heat into the joint, it’s all about fusion

Learning, Nick DV and Popcorn like this.
  10. Never mentioned anything about making a mess, some weaved welds look very neat and tidy, doesn’t mean the joint is correctly fused

Munkul, Nick DV and Popcorn like this.
  11. Lordspectre

Lordspectre If it aint broke, tinker with it anyway

Look like good weld, I stick with stringers unless I'm bored then do the usual weave process. But whatever floats for you

Nick DV likes this.
Advertisements