Here's my shoddy attempt at a weld positioner. There was no design or plan other than shamelessly copying off a variety of better made ones that are documented online. Dimensions were dictated by available materials and guess work. Not even a fag packet was employed. The box section was salvaged from an old desk. It's 25mm square with 1.6mm wall. The two uprights are linked with three horizontal pieces. The 20mm bore pillow block bearings have 80 or 85mm spaced mounting holes so they dictated the spread. I welded a piece of 3mm plate with mounting holes drilled and to this I've mounted a 24v Parvalux motor. The motor was left over from another project that I didn't get round to which was to motorise a bead roller. I've cut up a cheap plastic chopping board to help isolate the motor, the motor mounting bolts are taped up along their lengths too. I've used a multimeter to check and the motor appears to be electrically isolated from the frame. A vee belt turns the turntable pulley. The rubber belt also allows the motor to stay isolated. I've welded another length of box section and gouged out the centre so I can run a tensioner pulley mounted on 10mm threaded bar using a pair of nuts clamping the box section keeping the belt tight. The tensioner system is handy as I have a load of spare old vee belts and the sizes don't really matter as I can take the slack up as needed. I need to apply a welder return connection and I think I'm going to use some spare 25mm2 copper cable to wrap round the top of the shaft. There's a little Chinese control module off Ebay wired between the motor and the Makita 18v battery. It has a switch to allow forward, stop and reverse plus a rotary knob to adjust speeds. The motor/gearbox combo output is rated at 7.5 rpm, the different pulley sizes lower this a touch more and the lower battery voltage drops this further. Finally I can use the electronic controller to get the rpms down to as low as zero. The gearbox on the motor means there is plenty of torque even at extremely low speeds. I plonked the 110v transformer on the turntable and everything continues to rotate just fine. It has grunt. The welds are shoddy and nothing is particularly square. If I can get this to work I might get round to making the frame again properly. The wiring will be fine as it is . I've got a worn old 3 jaw chuck to mount on the turntable. It's not sufficiently accurate to use on the lathe any more but it should be fine for this. I'll also need to mount the positioner somewhere much lower than the bench vice. I may need to make a stand for it otherwise I'll be welding above my head. Apologies for the busy photos. There's too much stuff lying around on the bench.