Want to buy a mig/tig inverter

1. I'dliketweld New Member

Please help, I want to buy an inverter mig/tig or mig/spool gun ready, gas/ gas less, I would like it to be able to weld 0.8 up to about 5mm steel and aluminium if I ever need to. I have done lots of arc welding with the cheapest machine ever made with bad results and I have done a bit of mig with my dad's welder years ago and found I was a lot better with it
    I am currently living in Western Australia but will be returning to England in the next year or so, I don't really want to buy a machine that can only be repaired locally as I won't be here soon. I have looked at a few machines locally..... Cigweld weldskill 185 which is a mig/stick/lift tig machine, unimig 175 which is mig/stick/spool gun ready and Unimig 182 which is mig/stick/tig all are around my budget $600 to $800, Or around £650.There is very little online about any of these machines, it seems that Unimig is something to do with Jasic and I know that cigweld is in UK aswell although I don't know if cigweld uk is the same as cigweld Aus.
    As I have all my family in England I would be able to buy a UK machine and have them send it to me and this is kind of what I would prefer to do.

Hope someone can help me

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  2. henry Kadzielski Member

G'day mate and welcome to the forum. I know the guys from Unimig quite well and have dealt with them for many years, so it pays to be in the know. Is it something you are planning to take back with you, then a invertor would be lighter. A spool gun and a under 200a mig for alli straight mig no pulse, probably not the best results, but if it works then your happy. I have a 200amp 3in 1 Italian Esseti, which was Unimig's premium range years ago. Works OK but never tried it on alli, I had their Queiry 350 pulse machine for alli. Their new stuff is Chinees, but dose seem to work. Getting something from the UK, the freight would be impressive:o. Jasic is supported globally. I could make some inquiries on you behalf if you like:thumbup:

3. Kent

Kent Member

Most likely Esab group

4. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

As kent said Cigweld is owned by ESAB, we don't really have them much here, mostly over in Aus/ NZ. A majority of their machines are the same as Thermal Arc over here.

Kent likes this.
  5. I'dliketweld New Member

6. I'dliketweld New Member

Hi Tom, esab look like very impressive machines? Certainly highly priced. My Dad has had a Cigweld for about 30 years in England, I don't think he's had any issues with it. Any recommendations?

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  7. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

8. I'dliketweld New Member

3x my budget, will have to get a lottey ticket for that one, any others?

9. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Maybe one of the Chinese Multiprocess types. Can't comment on how well they work, never used one. You'd do better looking at a dedicated Chinese MIG machine than a multiprocess. Much cheaper and very reliable.

10. henry Kadzielski Member

Good morning I'dliketoweld. Had a look this morning and, if you want all three functions (mig/mag, tig (dc only lift arc) and mma) then the Razor weld mig 205 smart set is what you need. It is also spool gun ready. It is only 20% duty cycle on mig at full wack and from my experience it will pop a 16amp C/B at that setting fairly quickly. To get the most out of it or any other machine rated simillarly you will need a better supply. There are deficiencies with these priced machines. My Esseti 200amp 3 in 1, I used almost at full wack, powered it from a 32amp supply. It didn't trip the supply but melted the on / off switch, which had to be replaced. All that without tripping out on thermal. The esseti 200 is 40% at 200amps.

11. I'dliketweld New Member

Hi Henry, thanks, i had a look at the 205 today also the 175 which is well in budget. I found out that neither will tig ally so I've given up on that idea but the guy at the shop said they could supply a new roller and new gun with teflon core which would allow it to weld ally using the standard style gun for about $240 including wire (any thoughts). I don't think the power thing will be an issue at this stage as the only job i have in the works at the moment is welding 1.6mm patio tube so i'm guessing about 50 to 60 amps. the 175 is $699 and the 205 is $998 do you think it would be worth me spending the extra money? i believe it's supposed to be easier to use.
    I also rang Jasic UK today to find out if they would likely be able to repair a Unimig and he did not fill me with any confidence, he said their machines have been made to their own specs and parts may not be interchangeable, I am going to ring Unimig on Monday and ask their advise on that subject

12. henry Kadzielski Member

There a very few machines that will mig / mag, mma and A/C tig, probably you could count them on one hand. Esseti had a version, but it was just a power supply, if you wanted to mig you had to fit a separate wire feed and all extra functions were addons. Not to mention they were very pricy. This is why I suggested the 205, with it's spool gun capability, for alli.

If you are doing only short runs then the 175 will work, you can get away with the 175 using the thinner wire (.8mm), where the difference will be is in the duty cycle if you get something bigger to weld. Actually I take all that back. The 175 is 175 max and the 205 is 200amp max, both their 100% amps are about 90amps. So there is a bigger difference between the two than I initially thought. 'Some is good but more is better' is something someone told me a long time ago. I have always gotten bigger than I required and have still being caught with new toys that were too small. You cannot predict what comes through the door, if you get something for now it may be too small later. Many many years ago I used a small mig 130amp to weld alli (as this was the only machine that could get the .8mm alli wire down the liner and out the tip), I could do a 50mm run and the machine would go out on thermal. Once this happened (thermal) the runs got shorter before it would trip again. We ended up with the cover off and big fans blowing on it so we could achieve something throughout the day. Yes this situation was an extreme example, but since then vowed never to be in that position again. My first mig I bought was a 230amp, this was because there was no bigger in single phase at that time. Upgraded it to a 250 (step voltage transformer type) when it was available and still have this machine today, which still works by the way. There is much to chose from on the market today the choice is yours and only you can determine if a machine is right for you.:laughing:

Andrus likes this.
  13. I'dliketweld New Member

Hi Henry, thanks for all your time on this, it sounds like the 205 might be worth the extra money. The only thing that concerns me is that it's a bit technical (smart set) and possibly more to go wrong? Do you think unimig is a good brand?

14. henry Kadzielski Member

I may be a bit biased as I know Peter who started Unimig in the mig 80's and know the service manager Petros quite well, so if i'm in trouble I can contact them directly (I did say it pays to be in the know). I don't abuse this contact, as try to resolve most issues with out having to contact them.

I have arrange a few machine for customers in the past, and so far so good. If there is a problem we do what we can. I leant my 3phses tig to a customer when their's was back for a recal, so they could continue their operations. The greatest problems i find is operator inflickted issues. Unimig machine are not the flashiest about but they work. Any machine will require a learing phase to get the best out of it, however if you twidle the correct knob in the correct direction you will get a good result. Knowledge and experience is the machines greatest weakness/ flaw. As I have said before there is so much choice, how do you get what you need. Most initial purchases (customers) don't even know what they want to do or even how to do it and to recommend a machine which they don't even understand. I now have 'Fransic' (Fronius TPS320Ic) my first non Unimig sourced machine. I got this for a very specific function and research that market for over 6 months. By the end of the 6 months with the choice available, I was more confused than when I started. All manufactures will tel you how good their machines are. Let me tell you a big secret ALL WELDERS WILL WELD. The best welder is the one that you can weld with the fastest with the best result. That comes from your knowledge, experience and the support you get from the seller of the machine and the time he / she is willing to spend with you. Don't expect to be spoon fed, you have to work things out for yourself, we all weld differently, so we need to be able to set up our welders to suite our own specific needs:artist:

Andrus likes this.
  15. I'dliketweld New Member

So I ended up buying a mig weld razor 205, did lots of practicing, the suggested settings just blew holes through the patio tube I am using. Played with the settings and got to where I was happy, which was a lot lower than the suggested settings, then after lots more practice decided to go for it and weld my project which wasn't nearly as neat as my practice runs. If I can upload a pic maybe someone can tell me if it looks like it has welded properly albeit not very pretty

• 15296543074871686002613.jpg
  16. I'dliketweld New Member

That was using E71T-11 flux cored settings were 13volts 2.8 wire speed

Advertisements