Volt/amp meter

1. gt6s Member

OHH Dear How does anyone manage without one ????????

2. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Yes and no... on any transformer welder, the idle voltage reading will always be higher than the on-arc voltage, as there is a fair voltage drop under load.
    It's the arc voltage that's directly comparable across the world on any welder, not the idle voltage.

So yes it's fiddly, but if you want the exact same settings as someone else, then you need to measure arc voltage and wire speed/current :) Or get an inverter that does it for you :D

Dadweld and MBB like this.
  3. MBB Forum Supporter

The reason I asked I have an old Tekker welder I replaced the wire motor speed control with a cheap Chinese controller and I don't know if the out put is the same as the original controller range.

4. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    It doesn't matter, in that case. Just measure the wirespeed - pull trigger for 10 seconds and measure the length, make sure the return lead is safely out of the way.
    Amps are directly proportional with wirespeed. As long as all the connections are good, the same wirespeed will give the same amps, no matter the feeder.

MBB and Dadweld like this.
  5. MBB Forum Supporter

30mm wire drive wheel at 140 revs on the top speed gives me roughly13 metres per min. 14.4 yds 43 ft 129 inches

Munkul likes this.
  6. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    IPM is what I think in, usually in terms of 1.0mm wire, 511 IPM is more than enough for most jobs :) you'd step wire size up around 600 IPM which is around 300 amps on 1.0mm wire.

7. MBB Forum Supporter

Max out for my welder is 519 inch per min which seems to be ok. On the motor nameplate it say 150 revs per min. I had to take the drive motor off to see the nameplate. If I had done that first it would have saved me a lot of trouble but I didn't know it had a one on.

Advertisements