Vin number but no reg number

1. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

So here i am again trying to save another old car lol, I have a VIN number but no sign of a reg number, The problem is the car has been sat for many years and was probably of no use or value but now time has move on and it is quite good compared to others, I tried the HPi route but they need a reg number same as the DVLA, Anyone know of a way of getting the reg number if one is still associated to it, I Would guess a parts company would know but i am betting this car is not on the system.

2. hotponyshoes Member

You should be able to run an hpi check using the vin and that will give you current and all previous (if any) registrations

3. Chillitt Member

I have a bike here with no reg, I filled in a V888 and sent off to Swansea aftter a little bit of a search, That's not to say its the right form, as I've heard nothing back yet...

4. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Is there an owners club?, a lot of clubs have a contact for recovering or getting new registration marks.

5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Owners clubs are normally a good place to start.

Bob

Edit, need to type faster :)

6. hotponyshoes Member

Or ring one of the dealers for the marque.
    I think vin search only works from 80's ish onwards

7. julianf

julianf Member

I have the same issue with a bike here - ive lost the v5, moved house, lost the plates....

Its in my name, but DVLA cant search by that, apparently... : /

8. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

I tried an owners club and they said try the heritage museum at Gaydon.

9. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

They have a massive archive, but do charge for paperwork

Olderisbetter likes this.
  10. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Antipodean Tinkerer

Fun ain’t it, being held to ransom by an organisation like that?

We live at number 192, but the land registry says our plot is 196. 196 doesn’t exist on our street, but the bank wants proof we live where we say we do... in their eyes it’s 196, though they send us letters addressed to number 192... you can use a letter from the bank as proof, except when they discover the land registry thing, and around the circle goes :doh:

Shox Dr and Wallace like this.
  11. hotponyshoes Member

Another way is fill in a V62 and send it to DVLA (put v62 team on the envlope) with £25 and a simple note to say you have lost the registration plates and don't know the number.

One problem you might have is since the sorn rules were introduced you might be liable to a load of fines for not having it sorned .
    You can say you have just bought the car (i presume it's not currently registered to you) however if you do then you won't have any entitlement to retain the original plates. If it's anything special you will probably find DVLA auctioned them off years ago. If the current keeper has been ignoring tax/sorn reminders they may have clawed back to plate or "scrapped" the car which could end up costing you for a new registration or even a q plate

Ruffian and Olderisbetter like this.
  12. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, They can do, they just don't want to. It's probably to stop people who've got hold of a chassis plate and want a logbook to go on a vehicle that it doesn't belong. They have all the relevant information and want to make sure you have more than one bit of it.

Colin

13. hotponyshoes Member

Pop in and see a local used car dealer with a £10 note, the Equifax hpi system will pick up the reg from just the vin.

eLuSiVeMiTe and Olderisbetter like this.
  14. julianf

julianf Member

I guess if that is true, a subject access request for a tenner would get you the information.

15. MoreWellie Member

pretty sure that IF the vehicle was been untaxed since before the sorn process was implemented then there is no problem
    One of my sons bought an old vehicle that had been out of use for years, it still had plates and the (very) old style logbook and he was able to get it transferred into his name without any debate about historic sorning.

Once it was registered in his name he had to then sorn it right away so that he could start the restoration process without being hassled

eLuSiVeMiTe, zx9 and Olderisbetter like this.
  16. hotponyshoes Member

Yes, it's the currently registered keeper that is responsible for all the fines!

17. richard8166

richard8166 New Member

This has reminded me of the V765 form. During the 80s, cars that were off the road had a good chance of falling through the gaps as the DVLA tranferred their databases to new systems. One way that you know your car fell through the gap is if it didn't get a new V5 issued when they changed the V5 documentation. This means the the DVLA effectively doesn't know that the car exists. I suspect they could have sorted this but they consider it not worth the effort. Anyway, the V765 form is a way to get these older off the road cars registered with their original registration plate. Maybe that applies in this case? This gov.uk page talks about registering old vehicles and V765 https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/old-vehicles
    The FBHVC has some documents about this, for example this guide on clubs inspecting cars. https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/storage/downloads/page/40/FBHVC DVLA Inspection form guidance 2014.pdf
    I've read other helpful guides in the past, but failed to find them just now... SORN is not an issue, as if a car was not registered with the DVLA, then they don't know about it, and the SORN rules did make retorspective exceptions for these cases.
    I know about this as my Dad started restoring a Triumph Stag in the late 80s and he's recently given it to me to finish. It falls into this category, so I do know the original registration and will use V765 when the time comes. But, in order to do this, I need to get the car road worthy before applying for the registration, since it needs to be instpected (the inspections are usually carried out by vehicle clubs since the closure of the DVLA offices in 2013). I have all the old documentation as proof of original registration, which will help!
    Going back to the original question, the DVLA might really not be able to find the registration from the VIN number if the car was off the road during the 80s. Rumor suggests they got rid of all the physical documentation years ago. You'll need to find another way. I suspect having the original registration will make registering the car easier, but it is not be essential.

18. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

do the current owners have any old photographs that might have the car in a background shot ?

bigegg likes this.
  19. cocker

cocker Member

I've used a v62 for this before .
    Turned out that the number plate they gave me was the original one .

Olderisbetter likes this.
Advertisements