Upgrading type B to type C MCB?

1. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

After advice in another thread on here, I'm considering upgrading the MCB covering the circuit for my welding machine from a 16a type B to a 16a type C.

Current brand is BG, are there any other brands which are compatible with BG distribution panels or should I stick with BG?

I've had a look on C.E.F and there are several with different ratings, some 10ka and others at 16ka; could someone explain the difference and what these ratings mean, and advice me on which MCB is likely to be the most suitable?

The BG ones on Screwfix don't seem to show the ka rating; I tried to pick this one up today, but it was out of stock.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-16a-sp-type-c-mcb/78793

Thanks all

2. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

The box with 6000 in it is the KA rating, 6000A = 6KA

Parm and Yamhon like this.
  3. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Would that be suitable or would I require a higher rating?

4. eddie49 Member

Yamhon likes this.
  5. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

What are the existing breakers, in theory, the electrician who installed the consumer unit should have selected breakers to suit the Prospective Fault Current readings obtained for the supply to the property?

Is the circuit suitable for an upgrade to C with the longer disconnection time/current?

dobbslc and Yamhon like this.
  6. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Had a photo sent to me of the MCB's, but it's out of focus; enough to determine the current MCB is a 16a type B by British General but that's it. I'll get more information tomorrow.

7. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

6ka is fine don't worry about that.
    If you measured the Prospective fault current (ka) at your D/B I doubt it will be more than 2ka,
    As long as the mcb has a higher rating than your measured ka reading it's ok.
    If you have a 30ma rcd in the house or garage you shouldn't need to worry about fitting a C type mcb the disconnection times either.

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

other breaker makes will fit but 18 th edition says you mustn't fit other makes of breaker in a board but if needs must on older boards :whistle:bg is current and easily obtainable

Yamhon and dobbslc like this.
  9. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I just bought the same make when I changed the MCB in my CU. Got fed up of my saw tripping a Type B MCB! Upgraded to a Type C & not had a problem since

Yamhon likes this.
  10. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Cancelled the order with Screwfix as I couldn't collect today, seems I incorrectly assumed they would have stock at other stores, so I'll order another tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

I mainly fit bg distribution boards boards. decent quality and easy to fit . screwfix is the cheapest to buy them from .they stock the best supply of mk db as well

Yamhon likes this.
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

not a lot of call for c type so its next day delivery from main distribution centre

Yamhon likes this.
Advertisements