Updates!

1. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Anyone else get sick & tired of updates? Why can't software just update automatically!

It drives me mad :mad:

stuvy likes this.
  2. sg66 Member

Yes I have unplugged my work pc from Internet and it now starts and runs great, it won't get a virus cause it's not connected to anything other than a printer, wish I had done it years ago.

Turbo and Ruffian like this.
  3. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

The problem I have at this moment in time is I can't update a device without the latest OS software on my Mac. It's just ridiculous!

I just want to things to work, People must of had great lives before technology

4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Get a Mac. Does them automatically and the latest iOS is 90% of the time free.

5. optima21 Forum Supporter

what really annoys me with windows updates is when you "update and shut down" ......and in reality it always seems to shut down and update, so when you next switch it on it then does the update.

that then brings me on to the screen that says 100% complete for about 5 minutes.....well if it was complete I wouldn't be waiting for that screen to disappear so I can do what I want to.

6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@Brad93 I already have one, Just updating to Catalina

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I've tried selecting which updates to allow in Windoze 7 Pro. That's fine, but when you try to shut down it insists on overriding your choices, then you get the same as @optima21 experiences. :mad:

Oh well, 'Luddites of the World Unite' never garnered support.....:D

8. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Weeeeeeeeellllllllllll............... so it wasn't so long ago that:

1. Software didn't tell you it had to be updated
    2. Updating was a manual chore
    3. You couldn't update more than one app at a time without rebooting (a Windows issue, to be fair)
    4. If you needed to get from version 13.1 of something to version 15.7 you needed to figure out which updates to install in which order
    5. Updating almost guaranteed some kind of obscure error, sometimes in the thing you were updating but just as likely in some other seemingly unrelated application
    Once a month letting Windows do it's thing (and it politely asks you when you want it done, and even saves your docs and does a decent job of restarting the apps you'd been running [caveat: Windows 10]) ain't so bad... :thumbup:

9. 4String. Member

I'm still using my 10 year old Toshiba laptop at home.

It's just as it was when I bought it, haven't installed anything, no updates, no antivirus nonsense, and never had a problem with it. My so-called smart phone informs me that there are 3 dozen updates ready, but as long as I can ring my OH at night and send text messages, why would I...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I once had a phone that crashed mid software update!

It became a paper weight

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. sg66 Member

Yes but that's not how it always goes, last windows update killed the pc, I had to pull out a stick of memory and remove drives to get windows to restart, that's when I thought why, I'm not bothered about updates and unplugged it from the world.

tomsutton529 likes this.
  12. optima21 Forum Supporter

wait until todays modern cars need to update as you're driving along............and then they crash :scared:

northwest, jsf55, skotl and 3 others like this.
  13. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Google pixel updates itself seemlessly in the background.
    Occasionally asks for a reboot after a big update.
    Winblows has always been a pita.
    Turn it off and check manually one a month.

14. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

oh i agree with the rest of it but not windows 10 the most biggest ... you can get for a system does what it likes when it likes crashed many pc,s killed computers a new install had to be performed on many a machine
    and its still killing pc,s last one i had was last week owner had lost both keyboard and mouse control thanks to an update was forced to go out and buy a usb and keyboard just to get it back working again not even system restore would bring it back

15. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I think we can all quote exceptions to the accepted rule. I hate to redo the whole Windows 10 thing (especially as this is a welding forum, not a computing forum) but most corporates (including the last four that I've worked for) are Windows 10 all the way because of predictability and stability.
    Like I say there are always exceptions, and your mileage may vary etc. but I'm happy to commit hundreds of workstations to it :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. Wany Member

Could be worse, guy I work with couldn't turn off his bedroom light the other day, turns out it was doing a software update...

optima21 and skotl like this.
  17. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Now that is crazy!

18. jimbo84 Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it is a phrase all these software heads need to learn.

Rarely update my phone (iphone SE) everything working perfectly, apps running well, great battery etc. There was an app I needed that wouldn't download because the software version on the phone was so old. Forced to update, mid update the phone went into a never ending boot cycle. Had to mess around and finally managed to get it into recovery mode, itunes wouldn't restore it because it wasn't the latest version of itunes, had to update that and then managed to restore the phone from an old backup which got it working, around half a day faffing all said and done. It had managed to install the latest ios onto it, Cue the battery draining very very rapidly, has settled down now but using some apps can drop the battery percentage 10% per minute and getting below 30% is dodgy territory of it just shutting down.

Less than 2 weeks later and it is now telling me there is another software update ready to install :doh:

optima21 and Ashley Burton like this.
Advertisements