Turning Target System project

1. northwest Member

So, I am trying to install a turning target system for the gun club.
    About four months ago we bought this prototype system from someone to get us a turning target system going. I installed it and made the hanging target holding frames for it. It did not perform to expectations and since it is "electronic" I gave it to someone familiar with these Dark Arts to sort out.

As is almost always the case with these things, it has ended up back in my lap.

It does everything we want it to, in theory. As you can see from the controller it has turn, delay, timing, frequency and so on. In practice however it just will not work. The unit itself does everything as advertised.

The shortcomings are these: It turns just fine, reaches the end of travel and immediately bounces half way back. I think this is because these are motors and not solenoids on a rack and pinion arrangement. One of the guys that looked at it has fitted an electro magnet to try to hold it in place when it turns, this doesn't work either. I think the answer here are solenoids that hold in place.

The other problem which is mechanical is that the nut holding the aluminium bar in place comes undone really quickly so that is something I can easily fix.

The frame will be held vertically under a bit of tension using a bungee rope from the middle of the frame to a weight on the floor, I have used this in the past and it is a simple solution allowing the target to turn and keep the frame in place.

What I am asking for here are some suggestions as to how to mechanically move the target frame, the electronics work just fine, it is the implementation that doesn't work. I have a suspicion that I will be totally redesigning the linkage and pivot but I have no recent experience of the type of actuators that are available now. I could do it with pneumatics , but that is just totally impractical so I would welcome all and any suggestion as to how to accomplish this.

The large black frames attached to the ceiling are because the ceiling is very soft in places and I needed to anchor the system firmly, this has worked well by giving a large area to choose from. The wires are all 12 volt and cannot be seen and are protected from the firing points.

Target002.jpg Target003.jpg Target004.jpg Target005.jpg Target006.jpg Target007.jpg Target008.jpg Target009.jpg Target010.jpg

ronan likes this.
  2. Wallace

Wallace Member

Are the solenoids being held under constant power when actuated or just given a short pulse? They might burn out if kept live for any length of time.

3. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

When I shot rapid fire the targets we made were solenoid controlled, all 5 targets on 1 frame showed for 3,5,7,seconds if I remember correctly? then.returned to edge on, the movement was fast in both directions
    Those look like door lock units are they strong enough & fast enough to do the job? most of the door lock units are teeny motors & a rack..
    A Big solenoid & lever to give travel would be my starting point, I think they returned with spring to stand by so solenoid only pulled one way
    To long ago to remember what mate & I used Here is a US made system with an explanation

http://potfire.com.au/rika-and-edelmann-products/eigenbrod-10-returning-target-system-clone.html

4. northwest Member

They are not solenoids. That I think is the problem.

You are right, that is exactly what they are. And totally unsuitable. I am off to look at the link you have kindly provided.

5. m_c Member

Going by what you say, I'd say the motors aren't being powered for long enough, unless there is some inherent design flaw in the linkage causing them to bounce back.

Before mechanically modifying anything, I'd be trying to apply power for an extra second or two, to allow things to settle into place, before removing power, and see if that stops the bounce back.

Failing that, I'd redesign it to use a suitable electric motor, and have it sit stalled against a mechanical stop to hold position. You'd probably have to add some form of current limiter while sitting stalled though to get a fast turn speed, and not have the motor burn out.

6. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Couple of ideas
    http://www.thesolenoidcompany.com/products/15mm-to-40mm-stroke-round-profile-linear-solenoids
    https://www.enrgtech.co.uk/buy/product/ET14118599/854AA62
    I vaguely remember it took us a fair bit of searching for the linear solenoid we used, in the end is was a 24 volt starter one with a mechanical linkage the good thing is you already have the control system.
    Stooped shooting when the Gov required licence holders to hand in pistols 2 Walther's complete with dry fire trigger cassette's & a High Standard all with custom grips to fit in regulation box.
    Always wondered if they were really destroyed, they paid less than pistols & grips cost the HS was really trick, holes drilled to vent at angle reducing muzzle climbing & kick, the slug just about got to the target, dead 2 lb pull on trigger, alloy slide the grip made by a friend was a work of art it slid in box at one angle only with the shelf & protrusions you could pick it up grip open fingers & it would stay in your hand :(
    Problem is @m_c there is a time for each operation trigger, turn, face, & return

7. northwest Member

Well, thanks to everyone's suggestions I think I have it. A spring on one side to pull the system into one position (Side on or at rest) and a solenoid to pull the system the other way so it is face on.
    The motors that are fitted are totally unsuited for the job, you cannot hold them in any position for any length of time as they start to get hot quickly.

daleyd likes this.
Advertisements