Tungsten grinder

1. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    last night I took the little redundant Wolf grinder, added one cheap diamond cup wheel with a 20mm bush, and cut out the guard to suit...

[​IMG]

Still have to extend the toolrest for tungstens on the side, but works pretty well as it is... and sure beats using the 4hp belt grinder for sharpening tungstens every time.

I might even make a fixed guide for 2.4mm tungstens at an angle.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. AndersK Member

Just an advice, you need to hold the tungsten nearly vertical on that set-up

Hitch likes this.
  3. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Vertical, with your hand at the top.

bigegg and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Like this, I have it set like this, no adjustment required for acute 1.6 or chamfered 2.4
    image.jpg

Hopefuldave, AndersK and cocker like this.
  5. AndersK Member

Yeah, youre right, this should be mentioned.
    Not obvious to everybody that you only run against the edge on a slow wet stone :whistle:

stuvy likes this.
  6. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Well yes... Vertical, with hand at the bottom.
    If you don't want burrs on the sharp end of the tungsten...

Hopefuldave likes this.
  7. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I've always sharpened with my hand at the bottom. :dontknow:

8. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I'm even cheaper, just added a flat diamond wheel (under a fiver off EvilBay*) between washer and wheel on one of the bench grinders, spin the tungsten in a cordless drill?

But yes, point the tungsten against the wheel rotation to avoid burrs and snots.

Dave H. (the other one)

*"factory outlets" and others have them for a couple of quid at the mo, silicon carbide, diamond are a bit more

DAPPH likes this.
  9. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

until it slips/jams, shatters and you end up skewered.

mtt.tr likes this.
  10. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    After using this for a while, I'm totally converted, should have done this years ago. I made a tungsten guide with a hole drilled through a bolt and a bracket bodged up ontop of the grinding rest on mine, and now sharpening tungstens is so effortless, I find myself sharpening the same tungsten over and over, instead of the 3 or 4 double ended ones I used to sharpen all at once.

At work the lads still just have a dedicated bench grinder with standard al-oxide wheels, I'm going to have to hook em up with diamond now!

To anyone who is thinking about it - do it!

11. gaz1

gaz1 Member

take a video and show them how easy it is to do while your doing your own grinding

then watch what happens after that

Hopefuldave likes this.
  12. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    [​IMG]

pawsnizzy, mtt.tr, Anguz and 3 others like this.
  13. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    right, professionals, talk to me, ignore my abortion shown above there... looking at buying something purpose-made for the workshop at work, but got a quote (again) from a company for a dedicated tungsten grinder, and they are stupid money :o

I know they've always been expensive, but here's one I was interested in:

https://gbc-uk.com/product/masterpoint-teg1/

Quoted £1965 for that. I mean... come on, get real. There is no way anyone in their right minds will ever sign off on spending TWO THOUSAND POUNDS on something that does exactly the same thing as my £20 contraption.

Anyone got any recommendations? I'll spend up to £800, that's the max I think I can justify to my manager without looking like a total moron.

:doh::doh::doh: how do GBC hope to sell any of these things? Do they take us all for idiots?

Makes the TAG Pipe grinder I looked at a few years ago at £800 look like a bargain... thats the route I'm going to look down next, anyways!

We don't need dust extraction by the way, since we did away with all thoriated electrodes years ago.

14. AndersK Member

Wonderweaver, Munkul and steviec_lj like this.
  15. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

There used to be a member here called Hudmut who made tungsten grinding attachments that screw onto the head of a Dremel, he's not been online for a year though.

What's wrong with just freehanding it? :dontknow:

stuvy, Parm and Munkul like this.
  16. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Munkul likes this.
  17. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    when we have welders complaining about it under safety grounds and given that there are safer alternatives out there, it's a decent sized company so we can always justify spending money to make things safer in the eyes of the HSE. I'm just surprised that we've put up with it so long.

Cheers steve and Anders - looking for a bench mounted one ideally though. The next model up on Westcoweld will probably be the sort of thing I'll go for.

steviec_lj and AndersK like this.
  18. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    I would always have my hand at the top, too scary with hand at the bottom. If it jammed that would be straight in your hand...

19. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

That's why I spin them in the cordless drill, gets a nice even taper too...

Dave H. (the other one)

DAPPH, bigegg and pawsnizzy like this.
  20. Cyberprog Member

I had one off him for a friend of mine and it's a good tool, he still uses it daily.

Advertisements