Truck Tool box build

1. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

A friend of mine recently bought a new Nissan truck
    He build a tool box out of wood years ago but he figured out that it's too little for the new one and he always has to secure it with straps before to tilt the truck bed
    He would like something with those dimensions
    1,80 meters wide,60x60 deep (side and high )
    About the frame isn't an issue because essentially is a rectangular base and square sides
    I have to figure out how to put hinges , locking mechanism,and how secure it on the truck bed
    Another thing I'm not very sure about the sheet metal thickness because ,it needs to be strong enough to survive the abuses in the years but it has also to be relatively light weight and another objective I have to achieve is to keep the budget as low as possible
    I have some rectangular tubing 30x100x2.5mm (6 meters bars)
    Any idea is useful
    Thank you for your help

2. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

Secure
    Lightweight
    Cheap

Pick two.

Ruffian, arther dailey, Kayos and 2 others like this.
  3. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

Go look at a ready manufactured truck box, note materials they use and construction, just copy it making allowances for your mates requirements

eLuSiVeMiTe, Memmeddu, stuvy and 2 others like this.
  4. SteScouse

When i start my hobby welding i had very little idea of the material properties of steel, still dont but gained a little through experience

Everything i made starting out was way to heavy duty, partly cos using stick and partly cos i didn't know any better

Bet if you look at ready made boxes they'll be lighter metal than you expect.

My new favourite thing is ERW, and not even finished my first project with it yet

But seen what guys like @Paul can do with it and their advice re strength if well planned. Eye opener and I'm grateful for the advice

Memmeddu, stuvy and Parm like this.
  5. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I don't have any clue of what is/are ERW I will make researches
    I thought that 2mm is enough strong for the sheet metal ,I will not weld it I will use rivets and sikaflex
    The frame Will be welded
    I know that tool boxes generally are made 10/10mm or lighter sheet metal , but my friend uses the truck mainly to load rubble,dirt and big heavy objects ....
    So this box needs to be strong ,also because he is a professional arborist and the box will contain thousands of euros in Stihl , Husqvarna, Active and fiskars stuff.
    The hinges location issue is because the door will hit the roll bar immediately Next those hinges because the box has to be as close as possible to the cabin (the roll bar is there to protect the cabin against the load)

6. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Memmeddu, SteScouse and mtt.tr like this.
  7. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Chequer Plate ? Looks cool to

SteScouse likes this.
  8. SteScouse

ERW steel is electro resistance welded steel. Its thin walled and has a neater seem than ordinary mild steel.

Pro guys will know/explain more than i can. I'm making a bed for camper out of it now. Great to work with, MIG tho. Stick would just blast thru.

Memmeddu and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements