Transtig 161 won't work on AC

1. Baz1086 New Member

Hi
    My transtig has packed up on the AC although the DC is fine
    Can anyone point me in the direction of what to check?
    Regards baz

2. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Are you sure it's a Transtig 161? Nothing comes up on tinterweb for such a model .

3. Baz1086 New Member

Sorry my mistake it's a boc murex "tradestig "AC DC 161i
    Not transtig
    Cheers

4. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    It's probably a job for ESAB service, though first, have a look inside and clear any dust off the internals. Murex recommend periodically cleaning the internals every 12 months using clean dry compressed air at reduced pressure. Have a close look at the com board (commutator board) for signs of damage, and loose connections.

5. Bobbes Member

I don't think it's an ESAB version. Herewith the manual

6. Baz1086 New Member

Ok thanks very much for that
    Regards baz

7. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
  8. Baz1086 New Member

Ok thanks for that information

9. Baz1086 New Member

One more thing to add is that when I switch to AC I get no power at the gun at all
    The high frequency runs fine when I press the button but it won't kick in even if you try to scratch start it
    Cheers

10. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Likely possibilities are: faulty AC/DC front panel switch; commutator board fault; a fault with the board that is sending control signals to the commutator board. A sound knowledge of electronics will be required to fix this.

11. Baz1086 New Member

Ok I definitely do not have a sound knowledge of electronics, one thing I have noticed is I did take a look inside the welder at the panel and at the AC DC change over switch
    And since removing the control knobs from the front, the two position AC DC switch now turns like a rotary switch!
    I'm not sure what has happened to it? I only noticed when I put it back together
    I was wondering if it is the switch at fault, or if there was some sort of clip/restrictor that has dropped out?
    Either way that ac dc switch that was two positions is now a rotary switch
    ???
    Regards baz

12. Baz1086 New Member

After looking at the wiring diagram I can see there are 4 diodes built into the AC DC change over switch
    I'm wondering if one of the diodes has gone in the switch?
    If this were the case then would the HF still work and the gas solenoid on the AC setting ?
    Cheers

Advertisements