Transporting compressor filled with oil ?

1. Becks New Member

Hi, as a newbie to compressors I have a couple of questions

Should a brand new belt driven compressor be transported filled with oil? If it is and if tipped up to about 80/90 degrees would this cause an issue with oil contaminating areas of the compressor it shouldn’t and what problems could this cause.

2. dannyp Member

nope at worst you get a puddel on teh floor just check and top up before use

3. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

If it was leaned too far over for a while oil could possibly seep past your piston rings into the upper cylinder and when you hit ‘start’ it might hydro lock and bend your con rod. It might be too thick to squeeze past the discharge valve in time....

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. dannyp Member

theres not enough grunt in the motor to bend a rod, at worst it'l just humm for a few moments

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

well if it was and your worried just pull the pulley over by hand a couple of revolutions and if it pulls over just start it up

Hopefuldave likes this.
  6. Becks New Member

Thanks for replies. It started and ran fine. It was just I’d read that you should never lay a compressor on its side as can cause problems.
    I didn’t want to start using it if this could have caused problems so I could return it again. I plan on doing some car paint spraying so didn’t want if this could have led to increased possibility of oil contamination of the air supply.

This was all due to a cock up by SGS and their courier - this was the 2nd one they sent as first one had the pressure switch and gauges smashed off by the courier.

Advertisements