Training required in the South East

1. Pete.

Pete. Member

Looking for recommendations for some formal training on MMA in the South East. It's for my brother who is a plant fitter. Company is picking up the tab and want him to be able to weld to a reasonable standard for temporary site repairs etc.

Any ideas/recommendations anyone?

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Colchester Institite.

stuvy and Pete. like this.
  3. Pete.

Pete. Member

I just looked at their website and it looks ideal for what they want. Also handy that he lives in N Kent so not too far away.

I've sent them the link, thanks Brad.

Memmeddu, stuvy, Brad93 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The instructors are top blokes. All new Jasic machines up there.

A level 1 or 2 City & Guilds will probably suffice. 10 weeks is about £600 if I remember correctly.

5. Richard.

Richard. Member

If there is no formal qualification involved which for “reasonable standard for temporary site repairs etc.” There probably isn’t then I’d say some informal 1-1 tuition is the best way by miles. I know the company is picking up the tab but your friend is going to learn a heck of a lot more spending a day with someone like brad for £30 an hour (example) than a 10 week mixed class for £600. Not to blow my own trumpet but I’ve regularly carried out 4 hour Tig welding lessons to people who have never touched a torch and gotten them to a standard greater than they would learn in a mixed class charging 5 time more. If your friends company would be happy for Brad to supply the invoice then I’d be asking brads availability. And trust me he’s a fine MMA welder who would probably shame a lot of professional tutors.

123hotchef and Brad93 like this.
  6. Pete.

Pete. Member

TBH I would take a day's tuition from Brad over an evening course any time but I don't know how the company will view it. I suspect that they will want some form of certification purely from a liability point of view. Should there ever be an incident they will need to show some evidence of training.

eLuSiVeMiTe, Brad93 and Richard. like this.
  7. Richard.

Richard. Member

Quite possibly mate it really depends on what he’s going to be welding. A lot of maintenance guys on site if they do weld it’s usually a broken gate latch or something to sit a electrical cabinet on. Stuff like that and the qualification may not be required and competency may be enough. Worth asking the question if nothing else.

8. Arclikeharrypotter Member

I know we have used a firm once that used to give out a booklet which ticks off which welds you have achieved, done to standard where they are etched and fracture tested, these were for those who didn't need to weld regularly maybe once a month or even year.

9. John Hale Member

10. Pete.

Pete. Member

I actually bookmarked that place last night to ask about it. The location is ideal since it's only a few miles away. Plus they do a 4-day course instead of one evening a week spread over 10 weeks.

Brad93 likes this.
  11. Pete.

Pete. Member

Just a follow up my brother is booked on the 4-day MMA to BS 4872 at IPS in Medway. The course is £1380 & vat plus test fees.

Parm likes this.
  12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Flipping hell in the wrong game.

Paid £230 a day at CEME in rainham.

13. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine Member

God damn.

I wanted to do MIG, TIG and arc. Might need to save for... a few years.

Advertisements