Tractor Questions and advice

1. Robbie260 Member

Right so since we have such a broad knowledge spectrum on this fourm with a vast array of experiance.

A mate of mine works on a farm and the owner wants to get new tractors to replace his old ones. He has asksd me as apparently because im a mechanical engineer i know the answer to every thing (i really dont have much of a clue about tractors to be honest). The farmer wants to be able to move tanco silage bales with it ie two on the loader on the front and two on the 3 point hitch at the back. I assume this means he wants a heavy tractor to cope with the weight while the tractor dosent have an even load on it ie 2 on the back before he picks up the two on the front and one with a high hydraulic flow rate to supply the hitch and loader with enough fluid to manage to lift this combination.

Any suggestions on what tractor he should be looking at hes concidering anything from deere to valtra to landini/mccormick so i dont think budget is much of an issue.

2. hotponyshoes Member

If he's thinking of something newer (up to 10yrs old or so) get whatever the local dealer sells.

Some (most, maybe all) of the newer ones have the same complicated computer systems as cars and are running adblue and what not.

Any errors and it will need to be plugged into an expensive diagnostic system that the local garage wont have.
    Some even need the computer to add extra work lights, linkages, accessories and so on.
    So I would value the local support in something like that.

Robbie260 likes this.
  3. Is he looking at new or used? Is it just for stock/ animal work or do they do any crop work?
    I am a mechanic, with a case Ih, dealer , in Elgin.

Robbie260 and 8ob like this.
  4. anto44

anto44 Member

As said above, which ever brand has the best local support. Around my way most tractors are new Holland because that's what the local dealer sells.

Robbie260 and 8ob like this.
  5. Robbie260 Member

Its just cattle and quite organic farming at that so fairly hands off kind off approach. Loader work for one tractor mainly but he keeps two one without a loader for feeding over winter and for sillage every year. I think he is looking to replace both his current class machines with brand new tractors. The current ones are 97 hp i belive but he wants bigger as contractors are making larger and larger sillage bales. Local dealers arent an issue really here in fort william closest dealers we have are other side of inverness or oban.

He is looking to upgrade to between 120-140hp tractors. Hes looking for brand new machines.

6. If it around Fort William, your nearest dealer, is in Oban, selling Landini. Otherwise it is Dingwall for John Deere, New Holland or Massey Ferguson, Claas at Invergordon. To be honest there is not one better than the other, they all have problems. It all comes down to personal preference, or more often price. Valtra are popular here with stock farmers, as they have a large roomy cab,for carrying all kinds of stuff they use.
    Get Valtra in Dingwall too, also Kubota at AM Philips. kubota are a fairly basic tractor, using Deutz engines and ZF transmissions.
    For loader work, definitely need something with a powershuttle transmission, rather than a normal clutch.

Robbie260 likes this.
  7. anto44

anto44 Member

Tractor brand loyalty is like religion to a lot of farmers, most of them seem to pick one manufacturer and stick with it. Personally I'd recommend a straight piped case 1455

postie jon likes this.
  8. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

As above I would go with the nearest dealers brand. I am with Massey for that reason alone, lost count of the times they have got spares in for me and left them hidden in their yard somewhere so I could collect/repair the tractor ready for the next day.

Bob

9. cheb Forum Supporter

Tractor? Highlands? The answer is always a grey Fergie.

10. I always used to tell my customers "You are better off with the best dealer than the best lawnmower" Probably holds good for tractors as well.
    If a pre electronic classic fits the bill it can probably be serviced by a local man who learnt his trade with a main dealer and will now value you as a customer.

slim_boy_fat and Robbie260 like this.
  11. Robbie260 Member

He wasnt impressed with the new class 120-140s and want to avoid massey apparently as another farmer around here has had nothing but trouble. He is looking at deere, Valtra, New holland and landini at the moment. My main suggestion to him was the loader tractor is almost exclusively used for loader work and sees the most use on the farm i though he may be better replacing that with the merlo multi farmer or the equivalent dicie telehandler with a 3 point hitch and pto as i belive they would not take such a beating as a tractor with a loader. The loader class you can definately can see its age and is pretty worn out after only 4 years.

12. sako243

sako243 Member

My nan's neighbour in the Highlands, bit further north than Fort William (@slim_boy_fat - narrowing it down a bit for you there :p) runs Claas tractors (he also has some land up near Dingwall) but for loader work has a new JCB Telehandler, the tractors also have loaders but most of the shunting around the yard is with the telehandler. He's not one to spend money frivolously and reliability / dealer backup is a big concern for him given it's an hour in any direction to get to substantial habitation. Mind you his tractors are probably a few years old now but they were new when he bought them.

Down here in Wales my parents neighbour, again one to do his research, uses two Valtras for most of his work (but the farm is more compact and steeper so doesn't need huge horsepower) and swears by them. He bought them off a chap half-way between his two farms (about a mile from each) so getting them fixed (not that they have needed it so far) is simply a case of running it a mile down the road. Beef cattle operation so doesn't do a huge amount of loader work but one of them has a Quike loader on it. Still has a couple of old 2WD Case IHs for hedges (being much smaller gets into the corners more easily) and scraping out the yards / barns.

Robbie260 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. Bill Edwards Member

If it's mainly for loader work a telehandler might be a better option as they run rings round tractors as they're a proper loader, and keep the existing tractor/tractors for towing, linkage, PTO work. All depends on what sort of work is done.

If it has to be a tractor then personally I'm not a fan of anything new as emissions, electrics etc have got to the point of being ridiculous and affect reliability, but if that's what he wants they all do the job*.

* Wouldn't touch a modern Landini if it was free, nastiest most uncomfortable pieces of garbage ever created and it isn't worth having a bad back for life. They aren't even well built.

gav0994 and Robbie260 like this.
  14. gav0994 Member

If he isn't impressed with Massey Ferguson's then he'll not be interested in the Valtra as they're pretty much a Massey Ferguson and share almost everything given they're both from the AGCO stable that also includes Fendt.

CaseIH is a good make to consider and they're exactly the same as the New Holland models, just red! You'll get a far better spec tractor for less money than what a John Deere or Valtra will cost.

Although if going for new then it all comes down to dealership backup and how good the warranty is.

Robbie260 likes this.
  15. Justme

Justme Member

Whist farmers do it all the time front & rear loaders are not legal to carry goods on the road.

Robbie260 likes this.
  16. spudmini Member

suffolk
    We run new Holland’s on the farm. Our loader tractor is a ts100 its put up with some serious abuse including loading hundreds of tones of wheat and barley on to lorries every year. It’s now done about 9000 hours and is knackered.

Robbie260 likes this.
  17. Robbie260 Member

No its just to collect sillage bales in the feilds and for loading them on a trailer.

Justme likes this.
  18. Agrismith Member

If there is room in the budget I would kind of agree with above but instead of telehandler suggest a little loading shovel such as weidermann ,Schaeffer or little JCB's

They are often more robust (stockman proof) than telehandlers have better off-road ability
    And are cheaper
    Coming from a loader tractor they will match the reach height but outlift them
    Just have to take all the bales on the front

https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/products/wheel-loaders

Robbie260 likes this.
  19. Turbo Member

From experience you need quite a big heavy tractor to cope with carrying 4 tonnes of silage bales safely whilst suspended in the air! Something 150hp or more would be best. You can do it with a smaller tractor but it's not safe & it's very hard on the tractor. I know one guy who bought a 180hp McCormick & he can carry 4 bales with ease, 5 if he stacks another one on the back!

Most of the farmers around here use a telehandler or tractor & loader plus a bale trailer to shift round bales, usually 10 at a time.

Can't comment much on tractor brands but all the agri contractors round here use either Fendt or JD. A lot of the farmers are using Case/McCormick/Hew Holland, MF have gain a rep for poor reliability & expensive parts/servicing.
    It's true that Fendt is the same company but they are a big step up in quality from the MF. I was told that Fendt have the first pick of the engines, transmissions, etc off the assembly line, the rest go to MF.

Robbie260 likes this.
  20. Bill Edwards Member

Two silage bales on the front of a loader is a challenge - get some wet ones, bit of an incline, hit the brakes or hit a bump and the back of the tractor leaves the ground. You can easily need the bales on the back to make it safe, or a big machine.
    That's one reason for a dedicated loader, they're designed to carry a lot of weight (far more than a tractor) on the front without being over stressed or unstable.
    But there are times when you need a jack of all trades machine - for instance if you have a lot of roadwork to be done where a tractor is appropriate and then you have to put up with not having something decent to load/unload with. Depends on the job it does.

Fendt are a cut above the rest, they may be part of the same group as other makes but they are at another level for design, quality and comfort. There is a price tag to go with this, and unless it's being used a lot may not be worth the extra expense.

VW and Skoda are basically the same, but Fendt, Massey, Deutz etc may share key parts but that's pretty much where the similarities end, they are very different machines.
    But pretty much anything gets the job done, and unless it's demanding work with special implements, good hydraulics, vario etc or high hours where driver comfort should be paramount getting something really expensive is unlikely to be worthwhile. Like I say, the one I would not go near is Landini. Pretty much anything else will get the job done.

Robbie260 likes this.
Advertisements