After a clean and scrape I tried it - it's close, and any more relieving will be by blueing and scraping.This has been on stop for a while, vying for my time. One of the issues was that the stepped under - face needed dropping 3 thou, so that it fitted the top of the knee. I didn't fance my chances of scraping it, so it needed a flycutter.View attachment 319340View attachment 319341View attachment 319342
Either way it's amazing the amount of progress you have madeAfter a clean and scrape I tried it - it's close, and any more relieving will be by blueing and scraping.
This moves the project forward towards deciding on fitting ballscrews or repairing the square thread. A big bit of me wants to put it back as it was and use it, even as an interim to check its accuracy.
Thanks - I keep telling myself it wil be worth it in the end, and trying to picture it shiny and painted up. It looked like a simple repair (simple?) - but the reallity was that besides the repair needed, the thing was well worn under the layers of dust and rust. Sadly, unless you can use a mill, or strip it, there is no easy way to check for wear, and a layer of rust just hides it.Either way it's amazing the amount of progress you have made
I decided to have a go at straightening the vertical column lead screw. First time I did it I found I just couldn't get the press on where I wanted it - the machined on collar was in the way. It ended up like a "z".No pics tonight, but I spent a couple of hours scraping and printing - it's close enough I think, floats around beautifully - except for a spot right as far back as it will go, but I'll need to take the knee casting off to get at that.
When I'd got it somewhere near right, I put it all together dry - it showed the high spots up as shiny, like magic!
First time it's moved up and down for a while I guess. Need to get some shim,to set the gibs, then check the in/out readings before fitting the table. Happy as a dog with two mills..I decided to have a go at straightening the vertical column lead screw. First time I did it I found I just couldn't get the press on where I wanted it - the machined on collar was in the way. It ended up like a "z".
So sh1t or bust, I machined, ground and filed the collar off. Numerous visits to the press, to the lathe to check etc. And it was there. I migged a new collar onto it and machined it back. You guessed it, it had pulled again. So more pressing and checking. Made this: View attachment 320270
A little fettling of the threads, cleaning and checking, got me this: View attachment 320271 View attachment 320272 View attachment 320273 View attachment 320274
Yes it is a good feeling to get it moving again, even if I might need to strip it and go back one step. Truth is I'd like to get everything working, do some checks to see if I cocked anything up, and then decide its future. And also get all the bits back onto it so I can re-arrange the furniture in the workshop.Looking like a milling machine again!