Toro Wheel hoarse deck repair

1. MigTig

MigTig Maintenance Welder

East Sussex
    Well .. pull up a chair, open a tinnie.. its a long one!

I begain removed the deck from this wheel hoarse as there were complaints of funny noises, blunt blades etc so I took a look.
    My oh my what a mess.. lets have a look whats wrong with it...

Well for a start its got rust holes, rust, buckeled wheel, blunt blades....

So, kit into the back of the tractor.. hey, my very first mobile job!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loose seperation walls, this is very dangerous, if it bends into the blades.. metal shrapnel anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So lets get to work.. after a gooood clean out with a wire brush and airline, then ground weld spots, this were getting ready for beating into place (litterly!) and then welding and re-enforcing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MigTig

East Sussex
    Some rusted sections removed and replaced with the only tubing I had, luckily it was on this part that was rusted right through...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Re weld of old sections

[​IMG]

And the first reinforcing rods laid in, clamped, tacked in place..

[​IMG]

Ah good old bridging.. a lot of rusted space to cover here.. was quite tough work to avoid burn through yet maintain good strength...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MigTig

East Sussex
    Outer edge, reinforcing lies on both edges, it was that bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

To this...

[​IMG]

Atlast, painting time..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick test run and all is good. I hard faced the blades (will do another post on this) and sharpened them.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

4. Haze

Haze is it can be hugs tiem ?

West London
    for gaps like that I have some mild steel 2.4 mm rods in 1m lengths that are pretty good for gap filling

5. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Nice job chap. I can see you get the weather too! (it rains here).

6. MigTig

East Sussex
    Sheesh it was a hot day.. especially in my leather welding jacket!! I took it off after every run to cool off.. did a bit more blade sharpening, then gear up and weld again

7. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Nice one. You should be able to update your 'Mig wire used since joining the forum' running total now?
    Hope you make the right money for doing work like that. You might have found a niche market there, there's not many people who would want to spend the time doing repairs like that.
    Did your tractor shrink?

8. MigTig

East Sussex
    Oi dont take the mick out of my 'tra-or :p
    I often haul well over a tonn of wood in that!

I am hoping to be a mobile welder by next year as a part time self employed job.. we'l see.. I need more kit, more practice.. more money.. more.. everything.. but then again its never easy. Currently on £5 per hour for all the different work I do :( but it beats the paper round eh

9. Welderpaul

hehe. only jokin 'bout tractor!
    Yer selling yerself way short for a fiver an hour mate!

10. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

£5 an hour?!!? Why don't you pay them to let you work for them?

We'll have the union on you migtig.

Not joking mate, that's ridiculous.

Si

11. Welderpaul

It'll be costing you a fiver an hour in discs?

12. shepsy Member

cracking repair job m8, looks like it will go on for a few years now

but like others have said a fiver an hour is selling your self to cheap

sheps

13. nice job £5 hour, Il give you a job my russian friend "camel" wants £6.20 to do me prep, 5mm rods defluxed make good gap fillers, did some work on london underground a few times on track welding (the dark days as i call them) when the guys split two sections of track appart we found they had used a handfull of rusty m10 bolts to fill the gap!!!! so much for codeings and inspectors. no wonder the bloady things crash...

14. Sylvester Member

Usually its the part of the deck that is in contact with cut grass and not cleaned after use that rots

15. lexi Member

paisley
    Nice story Mig Tig. All that plant would cost £100 a day to hire. Once you make sales, start to up your prices..........then you will see who your true customers are.

Alex

16. MigTig

East Sussex
    Chaps, im working for a charity company where I live, so Im not ripping anyone off :) plus THIS is my training, as I cant afford to learn this in UNI let alone get in one :( so for now this is fine for me. I will get outside work when the time comes.. as said before, more kit, more money, and a car..

17. Ah but you have to make some money though mig tig, lexi's bang on if your good at your job, chargeing a fair rate will only get rid of the messers and get you the better work..........shame your not in essex id give you a job tommorow, finding someone who is keen and young is neigh on imposible.

18. MigTig

East Sussex
    Thanks Snowcat, im trying to find a job, otherwise il end up self employed (doh! paperwork late nights, etc)

I get the welding consumables paid by the company here. So im not making a loss.. its just.. sloooo earning

19. Not a bad idea to work under someone for a while but i think id now go mad working for someone too used to anwsering to myself and knowone else.. Although the customers always right:rolleyes:

Advertisements