Todays project

1. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    I need to make a new one of these as the one on the other side is way too nasty and crusty for Mr MoT man, its a body mount on my 91 lwb Isuzu Trooper

[​IMG]

Cut the old one off (not very hard most came off with a prod!)

[​IMG]

and found a hole between the old fixing points so decided a big 3mm steel plate would be the best bet.

[​IMG]

Welded it on

[​IMG]

2. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    I then needed to make a new onne from a length of 3mm steel channel I had folded up by a local abrication company

[​IMG]

Marked it out

[​IMG]

and cut it off

[​IMG]

drilled a pilot hole

[​IMG]

3. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    and then the 33mm holesaw so the rubber bush will fit.

[​IMG]

like this

[​IMG]

cut the sides off so it's wedge shaped

[​IMG]

4. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    The original had a turned down lip at the ehd for strength, couldn't do this at home so I welded in a piece across the end

[​IMG]

ground the welds flat

[​IMG]

and the finished article looks like this

[​IMG]

Tomorrows job is to bolt it up in the car after a lick of paint tonight and then weld it to the chassis, then clean, seam seal, paint and underseal.

5. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Wow once again. The pick up is getting the proper treatment - I guess you're planning to hang on to that one.

It's interesting to compare your work with the average garage MOT welding efforts (photo attached). The only real problem with their welding is they didn't clean up the panel, so the weld didn't stick. But I don't see what satisfaction the person who did that would have got from the job, other than a bit of beer money.

With the work you've put in you'll get the real satisfaction of a job well done. Which is what it's all about.

Edit> If you weld upwards on the vertical welds it makes them easier. :)

• mini-mot-welding.jpg
  6. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    Sadly this isn't on the truck, this is my daily driver 91 Isuzu Trooper, truck work has stalled whilst I get this heap through the annual torture that is the MoT. I was going to weld it on this morning but at the moment its throwing it down outside. This is hopefully (plus one little straight patch) the last welding it needs, all the mechanicals check out so it'll be going in this week which is good as in three weeks time it needs to haul a load of building gear, my wife and myself and my 6' Ifor Williams trailer 900 miles down to our house in France.

7. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    This is it working hard for its living over at my house in France in february this year. Theres a ton of gravel in the trailer.

[​IMG]

8. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    Finished it off yesterday before it got too hot.

A quick coat of paint on the hidden bits

[​IMG]

Bolted it in place and wedged it into perfect contact with the chassis.

[​IMG]

and welded it on, its now had paint and underseal to finish it off.

[​IMG]

9. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    I'm impressed.
    This thread gives inspiration that things may not be as bad as first thought and everything is fixable with a little effort.
    Many thanks
    Rob

10. lexi Member

paisley
    Interesting work as this is one of the most common problems with older Jap fourbys. My Patrol has one which I may have to do in future although they are a little more elaborate the idea is the same.
    Alex

11. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    The original one was a little more shaped as it sloped up to the chassis rather than just being flat on top but TBH this is just as strong if not stronger and does exactly the same job. I may well replace the other side as its not brilliant and at least now I know what I'm doing.

12. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    Well I'm happy to report that at 11am today I walked away from the garage with the all important MoT certificate, the guy was impressed with the new body mount and not one negative comment on the welding. Just an advisory on slight play in a couple of suspension ball joints so totally unrelated so thank god for that as it's supposed to be dragging the wife and me, my 6x4 Ifor Williams trailer and a full load of tools and building gear down 900 miles to our house in France next Friday.

Advertisements