Tips for welding together steel rods (3-6mm)

1. Kepler85 New Member

Hello,

I'm creating a sculptural piece with 3-6mm wire but have struggled to maintain good strength in my welds.That is, when I put some pressure or tension on two parts joined together the weld snaps in two like a biscuit.

I'm using gassless 0.8mm flux with an Australian made Unimig 185(https://unimig.com.au/product/viper-185-mig-tig-stick-welder/). Also setting the machine at the suggested wire feed speed and voltage. I'm also certain that my polarity is set correctly.

Are there any specific tips ...techniques...etc I should be using?????

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

2. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Is the area of the steel you’re welding together clean?

3. Kepler85 New Member

I have done some grinding on the tips but not much more. Maybe I should clean up a good inch from the tip.
    However the snap is occurring at the join. It doesn't look like there is enough penetration

4. Kepler85 New Member

The supplier suggested this, which is fairly vague. I guess I just need to practice some more.

"Please confirm the torch is connected to negative and the earth lead connected to the positive when welding with gasless wire.The voltage and wire speed settings are only a guide as each hand is different, if you are not having enough penetration you can vary your voltage and wire speed to suit."

5. optima21 Forum Supporter

a picture of two might help, Ive not used gasless wire, but if its only a very short (tack) weld you may need to increase the power to increase the heat input to get the penetration.

6. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Hi Kepler and welcome to the forum ... Yes some photos would be a help ...also what is the material you are welding ? is it just mild steel or something with a coating , or an alloy of some kind ....plus are you cutting a mitre for the joints?...

7. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

I do loads and loads opf this.
    I doubt you will have much success with gasless wire. The welds need to be clean and have full penetration. I reckon the flux in gasless wire will mess up the whole process.
    Tips for welding tiny sections together,
    Have the ends butted up tight to each other. If the piece os not supported at both ends weld both sides of the joint.
    Practice lots; it is tricky fiddly work but can look really nice.
    Take your time this about speed but also deliberation, get the weld pool to stabilise then stop, and move on. Fixing small to large components, like along the spine start the weld on the larger component and almost 'brush' it onto the small piece and watch out for it melting then stop.
    You will get lots of burns as I find this impossible wearing gloves.

here is an example, veiled chameleon skeleton, the feet are 2.5mm gas welding rods, the ribs 3mm.
    Took several years to make as it was so fiddly it kept on being abandoned.
    Main skeleton. The spine is a piece of 20x3mm mild steel strip
    15 11 10 029.JPG

Not for sale unless I get really skint.
    chameleonmounted 001.JPG

Detail shot.
    About 20 welds in each foot.
    chameleonmounted 014.JPG

8. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

That is most definitely your best piece....(.that I have seen )

chunkolini likes this.
  9. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Thanks.
    Hence not for sale.
    Oh and the head is 2.4mm bars tacked together and overwelded.

lundtang likes this.
  10. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Great not only the welding but the artistic thought as well :thumbup::thumbup:

chunkolini likes this.
Advertisements