Tinting 2K Clear Coat?

1. SpitfireIV Member

Hi all!

So I've been using an acrylic 2K clear as a finish for dashboards I'm producing, goes on beautifully and finishes even better!! A number of customers have asked me to replicate an existing finish of a dash they may currently have and/or seen and while I can get it close in terms or wood choice and color etc the clear coat I find is generally a bit too, well....clear! I've dabbled with oil based finishes (that gave excellent results and warmth to the finish) but took faaarrr too long to dry, so essentially what I'd like to know is would it be possible or is there a product whereby I could add just a mere touch of color, be it a slight brown or gold tint to the 2K? Having examined a number of period dashes (40+ years old or so) they do tend to have a slight tint to the lacquer and I know this may be down to four decades plus of UV damage etc but I'd like to be able to replicate it in a 'new' dash.....if that makes sense.

[​IMG]
    Any help appreciated :)

Morrisman and Parm like this.
  2. Kayos

Kayos Member

We used to put a splash of red and blue into lacquer for spraying alloys, not the same thing you want but it face wheels a nice effect in the sunlight

Parm likes this.
  3. a111r Member

When I did my dark red (Damson) Vitesse, I tinted the 2K clear on the wood with a touch of the body colour, at the expense of some of the shine.

4. Gingle

Gingle Member

This is a wood affect I did on a piston. So for tinting you 2k clear coat you will need , a 2k colour. If you want it darker use a black colour, if browner use brown ,these are tinters I use of mixing machine. Remember more coats you put on deeper and Barker it will get , for half litre clear coat , tea spoon full of colour C0C9DD99-EC07-4C00-9132-403901452D1E.png

rtcosic, Turbo, Parm and 1 other person like this.
  5. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

You can't drop that phrase and then just walk away.

WHY? Not 'because I can' and walk away again!

How? (I think I know, but I can't recall the name of the technique)

Hobby? Work?

Morrisman likes this.
  6. carbon

carbon Member

You can add candy and pearls to 2k clear but they may not be the finish you are after

7. NickMc Member

What about a Matte clear coat?

Advertisements