This might be a small parts washer

1. cheb Member

I'm back at this now I've a bit of space.

First remove most of the clutter. The heater tank may or may not stay. There's an element inside I might be able to use, it'd mean simpler plumbing but less soapy water capacity. We shall see.

[​IMG]

Leaves me with this:

[​IMG]

The pump has an RPM on it so I don't think it needs electronic control, that could make the wiring easier:

[​IMG]

The first thing I have to do is make a valved drain. I'll need to decide on fittings for that.

2. cheb Member

It was easier just to plug the drain. Happily a 15mm push fit stop cap was the correct outside diameter:

[​IMG]

All the major functions work, it fills, it sprays, it heats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Minor setbacks are that the head of water isn't enough to make the pressure switch function so it'll have to be manual fill. A push and hold switch for that for flood prevention. Only the arm with the bigger holes spins by water pressure, the others move by hand so I might have to reduce the flow to the lowest arm. That can be tweaked when it's built. The current heater has no place to add a thermostat, improvisation will be done, or the other heater and tube will be refitted.

The next job is wiring and plumbing it neatly.

Richiew likes this.
  3. cheb Member

That's the wiring finished and tidied.

[​IMG]

I've also fitted a shelf to the inside, made from a scavenged oven shelf. If you don't know what one of these looks like ask your wife.

Test day tomorrow, assuming I can find some dirty scrap metal somewhere in the shed.

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@cheb. did I see a graphic for a fan on the control panel in the first pic? Maybe the glasses are 'blow dried' using hot air? :dontknow:

5. cheb Member

I can't remember what it did or didn't do when I first got it. There's a heating element in the cabinet, it looks like it's designed to work in air. There's also one in a housing for heating the water.

The current set up is a manual fill, non latching switch, and then heat and wash, both controlled by the same latching switch.

6. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    Will be interesting to see how effective it is for general workshop parts washing.

7. cheb Member

Filthy weather today so I've postponed the testing until tomorrow. Unless I get really bored with admin and housework.

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. cheb Member

Well I gave it a go and I reckon it's a fail. It heated up quick enough and stayed hot but there wasn't enough water pressure to knock the softened grime off. There's no seal round the door so the shed filled up with steam. I could probably tweak it but I don't think it'll ever be quite good enough.

It's been interesting and there's plenty of useful bits left over.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements